From: jiger on
In "My computer" the system disk shows that there is 20GB free space, when
the actual free space is more than 270 GB. Is there anything I can do to
correct this? I have defragmented and run a full chkdsk check, which didn´t
help.
From: DL on
Where are you getting these sizes from?
I suspect,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 8 May 2010 07:16:01 -0700, jiger
<jiger(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In "My computer" the system disk shows that there is 20GB free space, when
> the actual free space is more than 270 GB. Is there anything I can do to
> correct this? I have defragmented and run a full chkdsk check, which didn?t
> help.

How big is your drive? Exactly where do you see both of the above
numbers?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: jiger on
In "My computer" concerning C: I read free space about 18 GB. I Windows
defragmenter I get a report saying that free space is about 278 GB (which is
certainly correct!). From different partitioning programs I also get 278 GB.
The disk is originally 320 GB. I have xp pro sp3 with all recent updates.

From: Paul on
jiger wrote:
> In "My computer" concerning C: I read free space about 18 GB. I Windows
> defragmenter I get a report saying that free space is about 278 GB (which is
> certainly correct!). From different partitioning programs I also get 278 GB.
> The disk is originally 320 GB. I have xp pro sp3 with all recent updates.

There are utilities, for listing the contents of the disk and its partitions.
I like this one, but there are others. This one uses a graphic display, to
help you locate very large files. Hold your mouse over a large block,
to get the file name.

(Main page)
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview//

(Download page)