From: Don Wiss on
Back when I was connecting using cable I was able to use their SMTP server
to send e-mails and I was able to use the combo box alongside the From and
select different e-mail addresses. I'm now connecting using Verizon DSL. If
you want to use their SMTP the return address must be @verizon.net (or pay
a lot of money for a business account). But I am still using the same POP
server I've used for 15 years and I am not changing my addresses. So I have
checked Allow authentication and I am sending out through the POP server.
The problem with this is the only way I can now change the address is to go
to Options and change the Email address there. Is there some way around
this shortcoming?

From: John H Meyers on
On 3/8/2010 6:44 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

> I'm now connecting using Verizon DSL. If you want to use their SMTP
> the return address must be @verizon.net

Then don't use Verizon's SMTP server,
or write your congressperson and complain that
Verizon's refusal to let you use your other address(es)
is a violation of the fundamental right to Free Speech,
as well as monopolistic restraint of trade --
it's time we took this all the way to the Supreme Court, isn't it?

> I have checked Allow authentication and I am sending out through the POP server.

Do you mean that you are sending mail via another ISP's SMTP server?

> The problem with this is the only way I can now change the address
> is to go to Options and change the Email address there.

The best way to designate a single SMTP server to send all mail is:

In "Sending Mail" options, next to "SMTP Relay Personality,"
designate the personality whose outgoing (SMTP) server
you want to be used for sending all mail.

In _all_ personalities (Personalities window),
right click each icon, choose Properties, and check the box
[x] Use relay personality, if defined

Every personality will now use the designated personality's SMTP server
(and its login info) when sending mail, without altering the displayed "From:" info.

From: Don Wiss on
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010, John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/8/2010 6:44 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
>> I have checked Allow authentication and I am sending out through the POP server.
>
>Do you mean that you are sending mail via another ISP's SMTP server?

Yes. The same POP server I've used for 15 years now. I've never changed my
e-mail addresses. For connections I've been dialup, ISDN, RoadRunner,
Earthlink, and now Verizon DSL. Next will be Verizon FiOS. Sometime before
mid-2014 they claim.

>> The problem with this is the only way I can now change the address
>> is to go to Options and change the Email address there.
>
>The best way to designate a single SMTP server to send all mail is:
>
>In "Sending Mail" options, next to "SMTP Relay Personality,"
>designate the personality whose outgoing (SMTP) server
>you want to be used for sending all mail.

Ah. This had been set to None. This was the missing link.

>In _all_ personalities (Personalities window),
>right click each icon, choose Properties, and check the box
>[x] Use relay personality, if defined

Which was already done.

>Every personality will now use the designated personality's SMTP server
>(and its login info) when sending mail, without altering the displayed "From:" info.

Thank you. This works just fine.