From: Sesquipedalian Sam on
If I type an asterisk (*) or a number + a period (1.) and then a
space, Word starts an unordered/ordered list.

I have defined some lists with formats that I prefer to the default
lists that Word chooses. Is there a way that I can get Word to use my
lists when I type "* " or "1. "?
From: Stefan Blom on
No, the automatic application of numbering isn't that "intelligent." What you
can do
is create your own lists linked to styles. For single-level numbering, the
easiest approach is to modify the built-in List Bullet and List Number styles,
respectively.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP