From: Yousaf on
Hi

I have an Edimax EW-7206APg with the following settings:

Broadcast ESSID: Enabled
MAC Filtering: Disabled
DHCP Server
Running mode: AP
Security: WEP

I've had no problems with this since I bought it two years ago. But
recently, the connection started to drop intermittently. The first
time it happened, I noticed that another Access Point in my area was
broadcasting on the same channel. So I changed mine and it started to
work again. Now the situation is that there are nearly 10 Access
Points around my house. Therefore, whatever channel number I pick,
there is always a conflict with another Access Point.

If I go close to my Access Point with my laptop, it works fine. But as
soon as I go a bit further away (as far as five metres) the connection
drops. I have tested it on both Vista and Linux Fedora with the same
result. I have also tested it without any encryption and with
encryptions other than WEP with the same result.

Could anyone help me troubleshoot this please?

Thanks.
From: Bryce on
Yousaf wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an Edimax EW-7206APg with the following settings:
>
> Broadcast ESSID: Enabled
> MAC Filtering: Disabled
> DHCP Server
> Running mode: AP
> Security: WEP
>
> I've had no problems with this since I bought it two years
> ago. But recently, the connection started to drop
> intermittently. The first time it happened, I noticed that
> another Access Point in my area was broadcasting on the
> same channel. So I changed mine and it started to work
> again. Now the situation is that there are nearly 10
> Access Points around my house. Therefore, whatever channel
> number I pick, there is always a conflict with another
> Access Point.
>
> If I go close to my Access Point with my laptop, it works
> fine. But as soon as I go a bit further away (as far as
> five metres) the connection drops. I have tested it on
> both Vista and Linux Fedora with the same result. I have
> also tested it without any encryption and with encryptions
> other than WEP with the same result.
>
> Could anyone help me troubleshoot this please?
>
> Thanks.

No. Nobody can solve interference problems if you have ten
access points spewing RF everywhere. Buy some CAT5 cable
and forget about wireless.
From: me here on
Bryce wrote:

> Yousaf wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have an Edimax EW-7206APg with the following settings:
> >
> > Broadcast ESSID: Enabled
> > MAC Filtering: Disabled
> > DHCP Server
> > Running mode: AP
> > Security: WEP
> >
> > I've had no problems with this since I bought it two years
> > ago. But recently, the connection started to drop
> > intermittently. The first time it happened, I noticed that
> > another Access Point in my area was broadcasting on the
> > same channel. So I changed mine and it started to work
> > again. Now the situation is that there are nearly 10
> > Access Points around my house. Therefore, whatever channel
> > number I pick, there is always a conflict with another
> > Access Point.
> >
> > If I go close to my Access Point with my laptop, it works
> > fine. But as soon as I go a bit further away (as far as
> > five metres) the connection drops. I have tested it on
> > both Vista and Linux Fedora with the same result. I have
> > also tested it without any encryption and with encryptions
> > other than WEP with the same result.
> >
> > Could anyone help me troubleshoot this please?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> No. Nobody can solve interference problems if you have ten
> access points spewing RF everywhere. Buy some CAT5 cable
> and forget about wireless.

Have you set the channel and SSID as the default on the various Pc's
connecting ?

Rob
From: amdx on

"Bryce" <none(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Yousaf wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an Edimax EW-7206APg with the following settings:
>>
>> Broadcast ESSID: Enabled
>> MAC Filtering: Disabled
>> DHCP Server
>> Running mode: AP
>> Security: WEP
>>
>> I've had no problems with this since I bought it two years
>> ago. But recently, the connection started to drop
>> intermittently. The first time it happened, I noticed that
>> another Access Point in my area was broadcasting on the
>> same channel. So I changed mine and it started to work
>> again. Now the situation is that there are nearly 10
>> Access Points around my house. Therefore, whatever channel
>> number I pick, there is always a conflict with another
>> Access Point.
>>
>> If I go close to my Access Point with my laptop, it works
>> fine. But as soon as I go a bit further away (as far as
>> five metres) the connection drops. I have tested it on
>> both Vista and Linux Fedora with the same result. I have
>> also tested it without any encryption and with encryptions
>> other than WEP with the same result.
>>
>> Could anyone help me troubleshoot this please?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> No. Nobody can solve interference problems if you have ten
> access points spewing RF everywhere. Buy some CAT5 cable
> and forget about wireless.

I'm not sure about this, I receive 43 different access points and
lock on without any problem. My situation is different though,
I have a high gain antenna pointing at a building that is emitting
43 wifi signals.
You could try a few things, such as putting a reflector on the
antenna of the Edimax, however this will make the signal stronger
in one direction only. That means you would need to place the Edimax
in a place where you could aim the signal so it covers all of your normal
laptop using positions.
Same goes with the laptop, you could set it up with an external antenna
that is directional, then you aim the external antenna at the Edimax. This
helps in reducing interfering signals if they are in the null area of your
external directional antenna. It also and increases the strength of your
signal.
That's as much as I think I know!
Mike

From: Yousaf on

> Have you set the channel and SSID as the default on the various Pc's
> connecting ?

I have set the SSID on vista and fedora but neither gives me the
option to set the channel ID. I'll look into this. Thanks.