From: Aj on
Hi All

I have 2 varibale A and B . A stores numeric values like 1 2 3 and B
stores character values but are numeric values in quotes like '1'
'2' '3' . Now how do i identify the varibale type since I need to
pass this variable into a macro and need to run a where clause on the
numeric varibale A.
Since B as well is passed in the macro and a where clause is executed
on a character varibale. I get a error message .
From: Patrick on
There are SAS functions like VTYPE() or dictionary tables which could
provide you with this information.

Suggest you post your code and log for a more specific answer.
From: Reeza on
On Jul 12, 1:14 am, Aj <ajeetsubraman...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have 2 varibale A and B . A stores  numeric values like 1 2 3 and B
> stores character values but are numeric values in quotes like '1'
> '2'   '3' . Now how do i identify the varibale type since I need to
> pass this variable into a macro and need to run a where clause on the
> numeric varibale A.
> Since B as well is passed in the macro and a where clause is executed
> on a character varibale. I get a error message .

Keep in mind that macro variables will all be string types.

I believe there's also isnumber, is character but don't think those
are what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Reeza