From: Luis P. Mendes on
Hi,

Sometimes I use the text consoles instead of X, in my Slackware64.

The problem is that in CLI or any editor: pico, nano, vim, when I try to
use accented characters I cannot do it.
If I press ' and the e, in X I get é, in text console I get 'e.
What should I look into in order to solve this?

My settings are:
LC_ALL=pt_PT
LC_COLLATE=C

Luis
From: Robby Workman on
On 2010-04-21, Martin <no(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
> Luis P. Mendes wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes I use the text consoles instead of X, in my Slackware64.
>>
>> The problem is that in CLI or any editor: pico, nano, vim, when I try to
>> use accented characters I cannot do it.
>> If I press ' and the e, in X I get é, in text console I get 'e.
>> What should I look into in order to solve this?
>>
>> My settings are:
>> LC_ALL=pt_PT
>> LC_COLLATE=C
>>

> Are you using HAL? In that case, check your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-
> keymap.fdi. If it doesn't exist, create a copy from
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi and modify it to suit
> your keyboard model and layout.

This only configures the keymap in X - not in the consoles.

I think you need to run unicode_start, but I don't have any actual
experience with this, so there is quite possibly more to it.

> If you need more special characters you might want to switch to UTF-8 as
> well. This can be done by exporting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in
> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.

That's good advice regardless.

-RW
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Robby Workman:

> On 2010-04-21, Martin <no(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
>> Luis P. Mendes wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometimes I use the text consoles instead of X, in my Slackware64.
>>>
>>> The problem is that in CLI or any editor: pico, nano, vim, when I try
>>> to use accented characters I cannot do it. If I press ' and the e, in
>>> X I get é, in text console I get 'e. What should I look into in order
>>> to solve this?
>>>
>>> My settings are:
>>> LC_ALL=pt_PT
>>> LC_COLLATE=C
>>>

>> Are you using HAL? In that case, check your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-
>> keymap.fdi. If it doesn't exist, create a copy from
>> /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi and modify it to
>> suit your keyboard model and layout.
>

> This only configures the keymap in X - not in the consoles.
>
> I think you need to run unicode_start, but I don't have any actual
> experience with this, so there is quite possibly more to it.
>

>> If you need more special characters you might want to switch to UTF-8
>> as well. This can be done by exporting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in
>> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.
>

> That's good advice regardless.
>
> -RW

Are the (old?) Slackware cautionary notes regarding UTF-8 now obsolete?

Is UTF-8 fit for general deployment?

If so, is it likely Slackware will switch to UTF-8 as it's defaults soon?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Martin on
Luis P. Mendes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes I use the text consoles instead of X, in my Slackware64.
>
> The problem is that in CLI or any editor: pico, nano, vim, when I try to
> use accented characters I cannot do it.
> If I press ' and the e, in X I get é, in text console I get 'e.
> What should I look into in order to solve this?
>
> My settings are:
> LC_ALL=pt_PT
> LC_COLLATE=C
>

> Luis

Are you using HAL? In that case, check your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-
keymap.fdi. If it doesn't exist, create a copy from
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi and modify it to suit
your keyboard model and layout.

If you need more special characters you might want to switch to UTF-8 as
well. This can be done by exporting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in
/etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.

Hope this helps,

Martin

From: Martin on
Martin wrote:
> If you need more special characters you might want to switch to UTF-8 as
> well. This can be done by exporting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in
> /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.

I forgot to add, after switching code page you might want to convert file
names that contain non-ascii characters. There is a tool called convmv that
does exactly that. Just google it.

Martin