From: John K. Herreshoff on
Is there a quick way to make a wireless access node in slackware?

John.
--
Using the Laptop at home.
From: Dan C on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:40:05 -0400, John K. Herreshoff wrote:

> Is there a quick way to make a wireless access node in slackware?
>
> John.

Yes.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as the antimatter containment vessel ruptured.
From: john on
On Apr 22, 9:33 am, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diam...(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca>
wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 at 23:47 ADT, Stephen Bloom <sbl...(a)beauty.toad.net> wrote:
>
> > John K. Herreshoff <n...(a)not.here> wrote:
> >> Thanks, Steve.  I guess I used the wrong word:  I want to make an access
> >> point so that I can connect other wireless computers to my network.  I'm
> >> using wicd here right now for this machine.
> > I'm using a Linksys (aka Cisco) wireless router.  Configuring it was
> > a pain in the neck -- I had to boot into an old WinXP partition to
> > run the setup routines; I don't know how to do the setups in linux
> > (which seems to be your question..).  Once the damn thing was up and
> > running, I could make changes via the router's web interface, I just
> > couldn't figure out how to get to that point from the beginning
> > without using the setup routines.
>
> I feel your pain in having to boot into lose ex-pee (I'm using
> software to prepare my tax return, and guess what excuse for an OS I
> have to use...).  But you really shouldn't fall into the M$ marketing
> trap of associating the concept of "winning" with any of their
> products, because that's obviously wrong.
>
> Moving along...
>
> I'm a bit surprised you needed to boot into ex-pee.  I just replaced
> an old Linksys router (WRT54GS) with a new one (WRT610N), and owned a
> D-Link DIR-825 for a couple of days(*) as well.  Both of the new routers
> came with some instructions warning me to use the install disk first,
> but in fact both were easy enough to set up from square one with the
> browser interface.
>
> (*) Can you say "slow" when you are using both G and N?  I expect its
> speed in that mode could be beaten by IP over pigeon (seehttp://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.htmlfor details).  I would have
> tested it, but I didn't want pigeon droppings in my house.
>
> Cheers.
>                                 Jim

My wife's HP Pavilion Laptop : I was able to connect it without
difficulty on the installed Vista. Then I installed a
Slack 13 partition and the fun began. I downloaded wicd and it
actually worked for a few days running Slack 13. Then it quit.
I remember downloading some additional software from Broadcom, the mfr
of the wireless card in the Hp Laptop.

On slack 13 it can't find the D somethingorother. I also tried Slax
6.1.2 (Slackware derivative) cdr and that couldn't find the network
either.

I tried a recent Knoppix dvd instead and that found the net without
difficulty. All I had to do was click on a button on the bottom bar.

So I have two OS that will work and two that won't. The two that won't
begin with Sl**
The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

John Culleton
From: Stephen Bloom on
john(a)wexfordpress.com <john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> My wife's HP Pavilion Laptop : I was able to connect it without
> difficulty on the installed Vista. Then I installed a
> Slack 13 partition and the fun began. I downloaded wicd and it
> actually worked for a few days running Slack 13. Then it quit.
> I remember downloading some additional software from Broadcom, the mfr
> of the wireless card in the Hp Laptop.

Broadcom stuff is pretty notorious for being linux-unfriendly. Sounds
like you had working drivers/firmware and then your subsequent
download messed things up. I got a Broadcom-based PCMCIA card to
work with Slack13 on a fairly ancient (Dell Latitude C400) laptop,
but it was a hassle. If your Broadcom requires b43 drivers, the
website http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmware
is really helpful.

> On slack 13 it can't find the D somethingorother. I also tried Slax
> 6.1.2 (Slackware derivative) cdr and that couldn't find the network
> either.

> I tried a recent Knoppix dvd instead and that found the net without
> difficulty. All I had to do was click on a button on the bottom bar.

> So I have two OS that will work and two that won't. The two that won't
> begin with Sl**
> The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

I suspect if you had done your Broadcom downloads on top of the other
distributions that they would have croaked as well.

Steve
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-04-22 at 18:15 ADT, john(a)wexfordpress.com <john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 9:33�am, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diam...(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca>
> wrote:

>> > I'm using a Linksys (aka Cisco) wireless router. �Configuring it was
>> > a pain in the neck -- I had to boot into an old WinXP partition to
>> > run the setup routines; I don't know how to do the setups in linux
>> > (which seems to be your question..). �Once the damn thing was up and
>> > running, I could make changes via the router's web interface, I just
>> > couldn't figure out how to get to that point from the beginning
>> > without using the setup routines.
>>
>> I feel your pain in having to boot into lose ex-pee (I'm using
>> software to prepare my tax return, and guess what excuse for an OS I
>> have to use...). �But you really shouldn't fall into the M$ marketing
>> trap of associating the concept of "winning" with any of their
>> products, because that's obviously wrong.
>>
>> Moving along...
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised you needed to boot into ex-pee. �I just replaced
>> an old Linksys router (WRT54GS) with a new one (WRT610N), and owned a
>> D-Link DIR-825 for a couple of days(*) as well. �Both of the new routers
>> came with some instructions warning me to use the install disk first,
>> but in fact both were easy enough to set up from square one with the
>> browser interface.
>>
>> (*) Can you say "slow" when you are using both G and N? �I expect its
>> speed in that mode could be beaten by IP over pigeon (seehttp://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.htmlfor details). �I would have
>> tested it, but I didn't want pigeon droppings in my house.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � Jim
>
> My wife's HP Pavilion Laptop : I was able to connect it without
> difficulty on the installed Vista. Then I installed a
> Slack 13 partition and the fun began. I downloaded wicd and it
> actually worked for a few days running Slack 13. Then it quit.
> I remember downloading some additional software from Broadcom, the mfr
> of the wireless card in the Hp Laptop.
>
> On slack 13 it can't find the D somethingorother. I also tried Slax
> 6.1.2 (Slackware derivative) cdr and that couldn't find the network
> either.
>
> I tried a recent Knoppix dvd instead and that found the net without
> difficulty. All I had to do was click on a button on the bottom bar.
>
> So I have two OS that will work and two that won't. The two that won't
> begin with Sl**
> The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

John,

I was under the impression the OP was talking about configuring the
router, not connecting to it wirelessly once he is there.

Perhaps I mis-read him.

In any case, since you had it working for a while, I think you have to
take some responsibility for subsequently breaking it. I know that
Slackware (even with wicd) is not always extremely user-friendly for
wifi access, but I'm sure I can break Knoppix and Ubuntu without much
effort, too.

Your comment about the 'D somethingorother' isn't helpful, but maybe
someone here can and will help you if you can be more specific. The
fact that it was working and then broke makes me wonder if you
clobbered the firmware by installing the Broadcom software. Or,
perhaps, changed the driver from one that was working to a broken
one.

Admittedly, Broadcom sucks (at least when it comes to using their
wireless cards with Linux, and maybe the rest of the time as well).
(Let me tell you how I really feel... :-)

Cheers.
Jim