From: D Herring on
This only hits poor fools like me trying to build extensions like Togl...

Running slackware64-current with tcl-8.5.8-x86_64-1.

/usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh contains
TCL_SRC_DIR='/tmp/tcl8.5.8'

However, the following file
${TCL_SRC_DIR}/generic/tclInt.h
is actually at
/usr/include/tcl-private/generic/tclInt.h

The obvious edit worked for me.

Same issue with Tk.
tk-8.5.8-x86_64-1
/usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh
${TK_SRC_DIR}/generic/tkInt.h
/usr/include/tk-private/generic/tkInt.h

FWIW, here's one way to configure Togl2.0 on slackware-64.
# ./configure --with-tclconfig=/usr/lib64 --with-tkconfig=/usr/lib64
The sources can be downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/togl/files/

- Daniel
From: Robby Workman on
On 2010-04-19, D Herring <dherring(a)at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:
> This only hits poor fools like me trying to build extensions like Togl...
>
> Running slackware64-current with tcl-8.5.8-x86_64-1.
>
> /usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh contains
> TCL_SRC_DIR='/tmp/tcl8.5.8'
>
> However, the following file
> ${TCL_SRC_DIR}/generic/tclInt.h
> is actually at
> /usr/include/tcl-private/generic/tclInt.h
>

> The obvious edit worked for me.
>

> Same issue with Tk.
> tk-8.5.8-x86_64-1
> /usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh
> ${TK_SRC_DIR}/generic/tkInt.h
> /usr/include/tk-private/generic/tkInt.h
>

> FWIW, here's one way to configure Togl2.0 on slackware-64.
> # ./configure --with-tclconfig=/usr/lib64 --with-tkconfig=/usr/lib64
> The sources can be downloaded from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/togl/files/

I didn't know this one, so I asked Pat about it. I don't know if you
his email reply or not, so just in case, here it is:

> Good hello,
>
> Well, here's the deal. The headers that are found in *-private are
> intended for use only when building Tcl/Tk, and are not installed
> by a normal "make install". But, in spite of the fact that the
> Tcl/Tk developers have not recommended that projects use those
> headers (for at least the last 10 years), many do. I can't agree
> with the idea of shipping them in a default header location against
> the wishes of upstream, but have been providing them in the *-private
> directories. That way if someone encounters one of these (broken?)
> projects, they'll very likely notice the private headers, and if they
> want to move the private headers up a level in the directory tree,
> they can make that choice. The Slackware packages have been like this
> for a long time, and I'm pretty sure most other distro Tcl/Tk packages
> are doing this, too.
>
> Feel free to pass this info along.
>
> Pat

-RW