From: Roman Gelfand on
Can somebody recommend a good web based chat server software. By web
based, I mean when you don't need to install a client, rather use
browser.

If it happens to include voice or video, even better.

Thanks in advance

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Roman Gelfand <rgelfand2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Can somebody recommend a good web based chat server software.   By web
> based, I mean when you don't need to install a client, rather use
> browser.
>
> If it happens to include voice or video, even better.
>
> Thanks in advance

Meebo is a decent web-based chat client that uses existing services
(aim, ytalk, etc). http://www.meebo.com/

For video, google chat is probably your best bet.

--Ben

Roman Gelfand 写道:
> Can somebody recommend a good web based chat server software. By web
> based, I mean when you don't need to install a client, rather use
> browser.
>
> If it happens to include voice or video, even better.
>
> Thanks in advance

I presume that you want to setup a server for your own use.
If this is the case, ejabber may be the server you are after.
There's also a lot of web based jabber client you can use freely.
Here's one:
http://jwchat.org/
Or you may google for one.
There're plenty of them.
Or you may develop your own.(I may also help if you want one. :p)
For realtime web-based video and audio communication, I don't think you
can easily find one.
If you don't care your chat message is stored on other company's server,
you can just use web based chat tools like gtalk or web-based MSN.
Hope this helps.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:37:46PM +0800, Niu Kun wrote:
> Roman Gelfand 写道:
> >Can somebody recommend a good web based chat server software. By web
> >based, I mean when you don't need to install a client, rather use
> >browser.
> >
> >If it happens to include voice or video, even better.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >

> I presume that you want to setup a server for your own use.
> If this is the case, ejabber may be the server you are after.
> There's also a lot of web based jabber client you can use freely.
> Here's one:
> http://jwchat.org/
> Or you may google for one.
> There're plenty of them.
> Or you may develop your own.(I may also help if you want one. :p)
> For realtime web-based video and audio communication, I don't think
> you can easily find one.

Dimdim does that. Web conferencing.
There's a commercial product, but also an open source version.
I've made it work, but you can't have much video streams at the same
time.