From: Timo Kunze on
Hi,

I have a root path, e. g. J:\, and want to determine the type of the bus
this drive is connected to. How would I do this? I know how to enumerate
the *devices* on a specific bus (using the SetupDi* API), but I don't
know how to enumerate the *volumes* on a specific bus. Also I hope
there's a more direct way than searching for drive J:\ within *all*
drives on the USB bus.

Timo
--
www.TimoSoft-Software.de - Unicode controls for VB6
"Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither."
From: Christian ASTOR on
On 7 nov, 16:37, Timo Kunze <TKunze71...(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> I have a root path, e. g. J:\, and want to determine the type of the bus
> this drive is connected to. How would I do this?

You can call DeviceIoControl() with IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
(BusType member)

From: Timo Kunze on
Christian ASTOR schrieb:
> You can call DeviceIoControl() with IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
> (BusType member)
Thanks. Do you know whether this requires any special user rights?

Timo
From: Christian ASTOR on
On 7 nov, 17:53, Timo Kunze <TKunze71...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Christian ASTOR schrieb:
> You can call DeviceIoControl() with IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
> > (BusType member)
>
> Thanks. Do you know whether this requires any special user rights?

No, no special rights. At Least on XP, on which I've tested it...
From: Uwe Sieber on
Timo Kunze wrote:
> Christian ASTOR schrieb:
>> You can call DeviceIoControl() with IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
>> (BusType member)
> Thanks. Do you know whether this requires any special user rights?

No, you can call CreateFile with 0 for dwDesiredAccess
(tested on W2K .. Win7).

Uwe