From: anansi on
James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Matthew Moss wrote:
>> So is a card number like "4012 3456 7890" a valid Unknown, or an
>> invalid Visa?
>
> Visa Invalid
>
> Always match the type first.

Nope thats no Visa number but a unknown one. Visa Cards have a certain
length (13 or 16) and if that length doesn't fit (Matthew's number here
had just 12 digits)it's unknown :) otherwise the length would be
obsolete don't you think?
Both length and startingbytes have equal weight in the decision wether a
card belongs to a known Company or not.

--
greets
(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star
From: James Edward Gray II on
On Apr 27, 2007, at 3:10 PM, anansi wrote:

> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Matthew Moss wrote:
>>> So is a card number like "4012 3456 7890" a valid Unknown, or an
>>> invalid Visa?
>> Visa Invalid
>> Always match the type first.
>
> Nope thats no Visa number but a unknown one. Visa Cards have a
> certain length (13 or 16) and if that length doesn't fit (Matthew's
> number here had just 12 digits)it's unknown :) otherwise the length
> would be obsolete don't you think?
> Both length and startingbytes have equal weight in the decision
> wether a card belongs to a known Company or not.

You are right. I didn't read well. It's Unknown.

James Edward Gray II

From: Raj Sahae on
Tim Becker wrote:
>> For completeness and to make this Quiz exercise valid to more people,
>> can anyone include the information for other major credit cards from
>> major countries? Japan: JCB, et. al., U.K.: Barclay, et. al. , etc...
>
> UK had Switch and Solo till recently which are now rebranded under the
> Maestro umbrella. They're not really credit cards and basically no
> rules exist, you have to check tables to determine valid prefixes and
> card number length. Additionally, Maestro card numbers may also be
> Mastercard numbers, so they can't be uniquely identified as being
> Maestro.
>
> For JCB and Diner's:
>
> JCB 3528-2589 Length: 16
> Diners 3000-3029, 3040-3059, 36, 3815-3889, 389 Length: 14

There's no way to differentiate between a JCB starting with 34 and an
American Express card that starts with 34 given those starting numbers.

Raj

From: Mark Day on
On Apr 27, 2007, at 8:39 PM, Raj Sahae wrote:

> Tim Becker wrote:
>>> For completeness and to make this Quiz exercise valid to more
>>> people,
>>> can anyone include the information for other major credit cards from
>>> major countries? Japan: JCB, et. al., U.K.: Barclay, et. al. ,
>>> etc...
>>
>> UK had Switch and Solo till recently which are now rebranded under
>> the
>> Maestro umbrella. They're not really credit cards and basically no
>> rules exist, you have to check tables to determine valid prefixes and
>> card number length. Additionally, Maestro card numbers may also be
>> Mastercard numbers, so they can't be uniquely identified as being
>> Maestro.
>>
>> For JCB and Diner's:
>>
>> JCB 3528-2589 Length: 16
>> Diners 3000-3029, 3040-3059, 36, 3815-3889, 389 Length: 14
>>
> There's no way to differentiate between a JCB starting with 34 and
> an American Express card that starts with 34 given those starting
> numbers.

Tim corrected his typo:

>> > JCB 3528-2589 Length: 16
>
> should be 3528-3589, obviously.

So I don't think a leading 34 is ambiguous. It would be American
Express, with an expected length of 15 digits.

-Mark

From: Raj Sahae on
Mark Day wrote:

>>> UK had Switch and Solo till recently which are now rebranded under the
>>> Maestro umbrella. They're not really credit cards and basically no
>>> rules exist, you have to check tables to determine valid prefixes and
>>> card number length. Additionally, Maestro card numbers may also be
>>> Mastercard numbers, so they can't be uniquely identified as being
>>> Maestro.
>>>
>>> For JCB and Diner's:
>>>
>>> JCB 3528-2589 Length: 16
>>> Diners 3000-3029, 3040-3059, 36, 3815-3889, 389 Length: 14
>>>
>> There's no way to differentiate between a JCB starting with 34 and an
>> American Express card that starts with 34 given those starting numbers.
>
> Tim corrected his typo:

>> should be 3528-3589, obviously.
>
> So I don't think a leading 34 is ambiguous. It would be American
> Express, with an expected length of 15 digits.
>
> -Mark

Sorry, didn't see that email for some reason, even though it's right
here in my inbox. . .

Raj