From: Clay on
On Dec 17, 6:05 pm, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 17 Des, 22:49, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> >   Here's wishin' all you guys a very Merry Christmas and
> > a Happy New Year!
>
> Still Merry Xmas and happy winter solstice from 63N30.
> It's no snow, clear skies, -15C and an annoying mid-day sun
> have been hovering just above the horizon the past few days -
> can't see a thing. And to top it off, tonight electric power
> prices jumped to USD 2/kWh.
>
> Rune

Why is your electricity so expensive? My winter rates work out to be
USD 0.08/kWHr. I've looken into solar, but the pay back is too long.

Clay
From: Rune Allnor on
On 18 Des, 16:50, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 6:05 pm, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> > On 17 Des, 22:49, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > > Hi everyone,
>
> > >   Here's wishin' all you guys a very Merry Christmas and
> > > a Happy New Year!
>
> > Still Merry Xmas and happy winter solstice from 63N30.
> > It's no snow, clear skies, -15C and an annoying mid-day sun
> > have been hovering just above the horizon the past few days -
> > can't see a thing. And to top it off, tonight electric power
> > prices jumped to USD 2/kWh.
>
> > Rune
>
> Why is your electricity so expensive? My winter rates work out to be
> USD 0.08/kWHr. I've looken into solar, but the pay back is too long.

The normal rates are USD 0.05 /kWh. Accoprding to the
news reports yesterday, there are little water in
the magazines for the hydroelectric power plants,
and problems with the Swedish nuke plants. So there is
a huge demand and little supply on the Scandinavian
peninsula. Since 90% of the Norwegian on-shore industry
(that is, what is not related to petroleum) is founded
on cheap electric power, people are discussing when
to shut down power-intensive industry. Some factories
reportedly shut down yesterday, after only a couple of
hours of the inflated prices.

As for me, I have only electric heating in my
flat, which is unusual. Traditionally, Norwegian
houses often have wood-burning ovens for heating.

Oh well.

Rune
From: Clay on
On Dec 18, 12:09 pm, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 18 Des, 16:50, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:

> > > Still Merry Xmas and happy winter solstice from 63N30.
> > > It's no snow, clear skies, -15C and an annoying mid-day sun
> > > have been hovering just above the horizon the past few days -
> > > can't see a thing. And to top it off, tonight electric power
> > > prices jumped to USD 2/kWh.
>
> > > Rune
>
> > Why is your electricity so expensive? My winter rates work out to be
> > USD 0.08/kWHr. I've looken into solar, but the pay back is too long.
>
> The normal rates are USD 0.05 /kWh. Accoprding to the
> news reports yesterday, there are little water in
> the magazines for the hydroelectric power plants,
> and problems with the Swedish nuke plants. So there is
> a huge demand and little supply on the Scandinavian
> peninsula. Since 90% of the Norwegian on-shore industry
> (that is, what is not related to petroleum) is founded
> on cheap electric power, people are discussing when
> to shut down power-intensive industry. Some factories
> reportedly shut down yesterday, after only a couple of
> hours of the inflated prices.
>
> As for me, I have only electric heating in my
> flat, which is unusual. Traditionally, Norwegian
> houses often have wood-burning ovens for heating.
>
> Oh well.
>
> Rune- Hide quoted text -

Sorry about those problems - a sign of things to come. Here in my part
of the country, the big issue is water. We just ended a 10 year
drought. Last year the main water reservoir for the Atlanta area run
very very low - some estimated only a month or so from running out! A
tropical storm came at the right time. Even though it is full now,
that problem will come back again. Fortunately I don't depend on that
source and I have a well. Even so, I'm very careful about limiting my
use. Lakes Meade and Powell in the SW US are expected to run dry by
2020 or so.

We do have plans for 2 addional nukes to come on line, but that will
likely take at least a decade.

I hope things improve in your part of the world.

Clay