From: Clark Smith on
Chrome has been accused of being, among other things, spyware
from Google - some people report that Chrome calls home as often as every
few seconds, transferring goodness knows what kind of data.

Can the same thing be said about Chromium? Since Chromium is open
source, this should be relatively straightforward to ascertain for those
with the necessary expertise - of which I am not one.

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:00:19 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> Chrome has been accused of being, among other things, spyware from
> Google - some people report that Chrome calls home as often as every few
> seconds, transferring goodness knows what kind of data.
>
> Can the same thing be said about Chromium? Since Chromium is open
> source, this should be relatively straightforward to ascertain for those
> with the necessary expertise - of which I am not one.

Chromium is the development branch of Chrome, i.e. it's the same thing
only newer.
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-08, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:00:19 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>
>> Chrome has been accused of being, among other things, spyware from
>> Google - some people report that Chrome calls home as often as every few
>> seconds, transferring goodness knows what kind of data.
>>
>> Can the same thing be said about Chromium? Since Chromium is open
>> source, this should be relatively straightforward to ascertain for those
>> with the necessary expertise - of which I am not one.
>
> Chromium is the development branch of Chrome, i.e. it's the same thing
> only newer.

Perhaps. Do you know, for sure, that Google hasn't modified the source
before building Chrome from the Chromium codebase?

I've only been using Chromium for gmail (strangely, firefox 3.6 seems
quite slow with it), so Google has all that data already. So I haven't
been too curious what, if anything, it's sending back to Google.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:16:09 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

> On 2010-07-08, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:00:19 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Chrome has been accused of being, among other things, spyware from
>>> Google - some people report that Chrome calls home as often as every
>>> few seconds, transferring goodness knows what kind of data.
>>>
>>> Can the same thing be said about Chromium? Since Chromium is open
>>> source, this should be relatively straightforward to ascertain for
>>> those with the necessary expertise - of which I am not one.
>>
>> Chromium is the development branch of Chrome, i.e. it's the same thing
>> only newer.
>
> Perhaps. Do you know, for sure, that Google hasn't modified the source
> before building Chrome from the Chromium codebase?
>
> I've only been using Chromium for gmail (strangely, firefox 3.6 seems
> quite slow with it), so Google has all that data already. So I haven't
> been too curious what, if anything, it's sending back to Google.
>
> --keith

Do you have any reason to think that Google is lying about Chrome vs
Chromium? They say it's the same.

Google refines their searches based on your search history, it's the same
for Chromium or the Google search bar on Firefox. It works amazingly
well, that's why you can get a relevant drop down list from just a few
letters in the search bar. The tradeoff is that they know everything
about you, just like your valet would assuming you had one. If you don't
like it your only choice is to move to the Google opt-out village,

http://www.theonion.com/video/google-opt-out-feature-lets-users-protect-privacy,14358/
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-08, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you have any reason to think that Google is lying about Chrome vs
> Chromium? They say it's the same.

No, I don't. Do you have any reason to think that Google is telling the
truth about Chrome/Chromium?

That's not really the point, of course. The point is that nobody
outside Google can actually verify what Chrome does or does not do by
reading the code, so the only options we have are to trust Google, or to
sniff our own packets.

> Google refines their searches based on your search history, it's the same
> for Chromium or the Google search bar on Firefox. It works amazingly
> well, that's why you can get a relevant drop down list from just a few
> letters in the search bar. The tradeoff is that they know everything
> about you, just like your valet would assuming you had one. If you don't
> like it your only choice is to move to the Google opt-out village,
>
> http://www.theonion.com/video/google-opt-out-feature-lets-users-protect-privacy,14358/

I'm moving there once I become independently wealthy. Any day now.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: process reappears