From: jny0 on
Hi,

I'm using kill -9 <PID> to end a process. The command is accepted (or
so it seems), but when I ps again, the process is back, but with a new
number. I assume the process I'm trying to kill is the child of a
parent process, and that the parent process is re-starting it.
Problem is, ps -l doesn't seem to work on this version (it's an
embedded busybox version).

Any ideas?

Cheers.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
jny0 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kill -9 <PID> to end a process. The command is accepted (or
> so it seems), but when I ps again, the process is back, but with a new
> number. I assume the process I'm trying to kill is the child of a
> parent process, and that the parent process is re-starting it.
> Problem is, ps -l doesn't seem to work on this version (it's an
> embedded busybox version).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers.
It might be being respawned by init..check the inittab.
From: mjt on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 02:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
jny0 <jny0(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using kill -9 <PID> to end a process. The command is accepted (or
> so it seems), but when I ps again, the process is back, but with a new
> number. I assume the process I'm trying to kill is the child of a
> parent process, and that the parent process is re-starting it.
> Problem is, ps -l doesn't seem to work on this version (it's an
> embedded busybox version).

Curious - what's the process's name?

--
The USA is so enormous, and so numerous are its schools, colleges and
religious seminaries, many devoted to special religious beliefs ranging