From: Barnabyh on
Hi all,

Am trying to use the Chromium browser from Slackware 13.1 repository
at Slacky with Slackware 13.0 here. A Chromium package for 13.0 does not
exist.

It complains

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

which is obviously the updated libjpeg-v8a it expects from 13.1.

My question is: is it ok to upgrade libjpeg on the 13.0 system without
detrimental side effects, or can the two live side by side?

Or should I rather compile it for my system if that's possible with the
needed dependencies, i.e. it could result in the same issue, there's
got to be a reason why it's provided for 13.1 and not for 13.0 on
slacky, like perhaps it doesn't build.

Thanks.

Barnaby

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Reg. Linux User #398054

From: Barnabyh on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:50:17 +0100
Barnabyh <abuse(a)spamtrap.org> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Am trying to use the Chromium browser from Slackware 13.1 repository
>at Slacky with Slackware 13.0 here. A Chromium package for 13.0 does
>not exist.
snip

>My question is: is it ok to upgrade libjpeg on the 13.0 system without
>detrimental side effects, or can the two live side by side?
>
>Or should I rather compile it for my system if that's possible with the
>needed dependencies, i.e. it could result in the same issue, there's
>got to be a reason why it's provided for 13.1 and not for 13.0 on
>slacky, like perhaps it doesn't build.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Barnaby

Ah, not to worry, it looks with these dependencies I'll really need to
upgrade first:

alsa-lib >= 1.0.23-i486-1
atk >= 1.30.0-i486-1
bzip2 >= 1.0.5-i486-1
cairo >= 1.8.8-i486-3
cxxlibs >= 6.0.13-i486-2 | gcc-g++ >= 4.4.4-i486-1
dbus >= 1.2.24-i486-2
dbus-glib >= 0.86-i486-1
expat >= 2.0.1-i486-1
fontconfig >= 2.8.0-i486-1
freetype >= 2.3.12-i486-1
gcc >= 4.4.4-i486-1
gconf >= 2.28.1-i486-1sl
glib2 >= 2.22.5-i486-1
glibc-solibs >= 2.11.1-i486-3
gtk+2 >= 2.18.9-i486-1
libX11 >= 1.3.3-i486-1
libXScrnSaver >= 1.2.0-i486-1
libXau >= 1.0.5-i486-1
libXcomposite >= 0.4.1-i486-1
libXcursor >= 1.1.10-i486-1
libXdamage >= 1.1.2-i486-1
libXdmcp >= 1.0.3-i486-1
libXext >= 1.1-i486-1
libXfixes >= 4.0.4-i486-1
libXi >= 1.3-i486-1
libXinerama >= 1.1-i486-1
libXrandr >= 1.3.0-i486-1
libXrender >= 0.9.5-i486-1
libjpeg >= v8a-i486-1
libpng >= 1.4.2-i486-1
libxcb >= 1.6-i486-1
orbit2 >= 2.14.18-i486-1sl
pango >= 1.26.2-i486-1
pixman >= 0.16.6-i486-1
zlib >= 1.2.3-i486-2

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Reg. Linux User #398054

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Barnabyh:

> Hi all,
>
> Am trying to use the Chromium browser

Why, with all the security advantages Linux provides, would you want to
drill a great big hole in it by installing such a horrible chunk of
blatent corporate spyware?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Barnabyh on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:05:49 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

>Responding to Barnabyh:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Am trying to use the Chromium browser
>

>Why, with all the security advantages Linux provides, would you want
>to drill a great big hole in it by installing such a horrible chunk of
>blatent corporate spyware?

Barnabyh replies:

Thanks for the warning. What I'm reading is that Chromium is the
open-source version underlying Google-chrome, much like Mozilla was for
Netscape.
So my impression was all the privacy invasive features would be stripped
out, not activated, not transmitting to Google at least?

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks.

Barnabyh

--
Barnaby.Hoffmann
Reg. Linux User #398054

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Barnabyh:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:05:49 +0000 (UTC) Mike Jones
> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Responding to Barnabyh:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Am trying to use the Chromium browser
>>

>>Why, with all the security advantages Linux provides, would you want to
>>drill a great big hole in it by installing such a horrible chunk of
>>blatent corporate spyware?
>>

> Barnabyh replies:
>
> Thanks for the warning. What I'm reading is that Chromium is the
> open-source version underlying Google-chrome, much like Mozilla was for
> Netscape.
> So my impression was all the privacy invasive features would be stripped
> out, not activated, not transmitting to Google at least?

(Must - not -bwahahaha - Must not... Gnnn!)

You ever tried to lock anything down with "mozilla" under the hood?

Don't forget that Firefox\Seamonkey are "freebies" from Time\Warner\AOL.

IOW, not much better than M$ Interest Exploiter, and then comes Chrime.

Cynical? Moi? ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.