From: Jason on
We currently have 2 ASA 5520s running in Active/Standby failover. We
have all 4 NICs being used (Internal, External, DMZ, Failover) on each
device and are looking to add another ISP for a backup (using route
tracking). The problem i have is there are no more NICs available. I
guess I can pruchase the 4 port NIC modules, but they are like $5k
each. I could also purchase a layer 2 switch and trunk it to the ASA
external interface and separate the external VLANs out that way on the
ASA. Im just wondering if anyone has run into this before and what
they think the best route to take is in doing this.

Thank you.
From: Brian V on

"Jason" <jason.polce(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> We currently have 2 ASA 5520s running in Active/Standby failover. We
> have all 4 NICs being used (Internal, External, DMZ, Failover) on each
> device and are looking to add another ISP for a backup (using route
> tracking). The problem i have is there are no more NICs available. I
> guess I can pruchase the 4 port NIC modules, but they are like $5k
> each. I could also purchase a layer 2 switch and trunk it to the ASA
> external interface and separate the external VLANs out that way on the
> ASA. Im just wondering if anyone has run into this before and what
> they think the best route to take is in doing this.
>
> Thank you.

You have 1 more NIC available. Management 0/0 is a valid interface and can
be used just like any other. Will work just fine for ISP redundancy. You
also have the ability to trunk any interface and create as many as you'd
like.

From: Jason on
On May 3, 3:16 pm, "Brian V" <die_spam...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "Jason" <jason.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > We currently have 2 ASA 5520s running in Active/Standby failover. We
> > have all 4 NICs being used (Internal, External, DMZ, Failover) on each
> > device and are looking to add another ISP for a backup (using route
> > tracking). The problem i have is there are no more NICs available. I
> > guess I can pruchase the 4 port NIC modules, but they are like $5k
> > each. I could also purchase a layer 2 switch and trunk it to the ASA
> > external interface and separate the external VLANs out that way on the
> > ASA. Im just wondering if anyone has run into this before and what
> > they think the best route to take is in doing this.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> You have 1 more NIC available. Management 0/0 is a valid interface and can
> be used just like any other. Will work just fine for ISP redundancy. You
> also have the ability to trunk any interface and create as many as you'd

Thanks for the help.

I completely forgot about the Mgmt interface. I think im going to use
the trunking though.