From: Devin Shirkey on
Having an issue, Trying to interconnect a Extreme networks
Blackdiamond 8810 and a 6504 cisco via 10gb fiber. We need to NAT
everything from the BD8810 to the 6504... but extreme networks doesnt
support NAT... Is there anyway to do an inbound nat on the Single
interface of the 6504?

Thanks
From: bod43 on
On 5 Aug, 21:49, Devin Shirkey <dmshir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Having an issue, Trying to interconnect a Extreme networks
> Blackdiamond 8810 and a 6504 cisco via 10gb fiber. We need to NAT
> everything from the BD8810 to the 6504... but extreme networks doesnt
> support NAT... Is there anyway to do an inbound nat on the Single
> interface of the 6504?

Errr...
Configure it?

At 10G you would want to be sure that the NATing
is done in hardware. From memory I think it can be.

Obviously you need to be using the interfaces
(physical or SVI) in L3 mode. As far as I know no cisco
kit does NAT on L2 interfaces.

From: Devin Shirkey on
On Aug 5, 8:22 pm, bod43 <Bo...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 5 Aug, 21:49, Devin Shirkey <dmshir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having an issue, Trying to interconnect a Extreme networks
> > Blackdiamond 8810 and a 6504 cisco via 10gb fiber. We need to NAT
> > everything from the BD8810 to the 6504... but extreme networks doesnt
> > support NAT... Is there anyway to do an inbound nat on the Single
> > interface of the 6504?
>
> Errr...
> Configure it?
>
> At 10G you would want to be sure that the NATing
> is done in hardware. From memory I think it can be.
>
> Obviously you need to be using the interfaces
> (physical or SVI) in L3 mode. As far as I know no cisco
> kit does NAT on L2 interfaces.

We have layer 3 working between the devices and have static route on
the cisco side for one subnet on the BD side. Everything is working.
The only problem we run into is we both have a large network. They are
the county in which my city (that I work for) resides in, and they
will also be connecting to about 8 other cities. If we start putting
routes out there on the Cisco ring, we are going to run into a problem
where someone else has the same subnet, thats why we wanted to do NAT,
but I cannot do NAT over to the Cisco... Could cisco do an inbound
NAT? or maybe NAT on a loopback interface first?

Thanks
From: bod43 on
On 6 Aug, 13:13, Devin Shirkey <dmshir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 8:22 pm, bod43 <Bo...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 5 Aug, 21:49, Devin Shirkey <dmshir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Having an issue, Trying to interconnect a Extreme networks
> > > Blackdiamond 8810 and a 6504 cisco via 10gb fiber. We need to NAT
> > > everything from the BD8810 to the 6504... but extreme networks doesnt
> > > support NAT... Is there anyway to do an inbound nat on the Single
> > > interface of the 6504?
>
> > Errr...
> > Configure it?
>
> > At 10G you would want to be sure that the NATing
> > is done in hardware. From memory I think it can be.
>
> > Obviously you need to be using the interfaces
> > (physical or SVI) in L3 mode. As far as I know no cisco
> > kit does NAT on L2 interfaces.
>
> We have layer 3 working between the devices and have static route on
> the cisco side for one subnet on the BD side. Everything is working.
> The only problem we run into is we both have a large network. They are
> the county in which my city (that I work for) resides in, and they
> will also be connecting to about 8 other cities. If we start putting
> routes out there on the Cisco ring, we are going to run into a problem
> where someone else has the same subnet, thats why we wanted to do NAT,
> but I cannot do NAT over to the Cisco... Could cisco do an inbound
> NAT? or maybe NAT on a loopback interface first?

Yes, I would think so.

If you want configuration advice you need to be more specific.
There are many kinds of NAT and you need to provide
information to indicate which will be most suitable. There
may well be a limit on the number of NATs that can be
supported in hardware and 8 cities sounds like it
might be a lot.

Also hardware and software specifics might be useful.
sh ver
sh mod !<-- as I recall