From: Gary Brown on
Hi,

Some of the batteries in a lamp leaked and made a mess of the
contacts. The contacts are springs that aren't very accessible
so abrading off the residue isn't feasible. Is there a solvent
or other means of removing the residue?

Thanks,
Gary

From: Jay Ts on
Gary Brown wrote:

> Some of the batteries in a lamp leaked and made a mess of the contacts.
> The contacts are springs that aren't very accessible so abrading off the
> residue isn't feasible. Is there a solvent or other means of removing
> the residue?

This sounds like a question for one of those "How to Clean Anything"
websites. :-)

First you'll need to get the gunk off with some kind of household
cleaner. Then if the corrosion is bad, sand the contacts down to
reduce the worst of it. Finally, use a metal polish to remove the
rest of the oxidation.

To get to the inaccessible contacts, use something like a wood dowel
or heavy gauge wire (coathanger?) to make a tool to get to them. Attach
your piece of sponge, sandpaper or whatever to the end of that.

Monkeys use pieces of grass or sticks to fish termites out of holes
in logs. I'm sure you can figure out how to fix your light. ;-)

Jay Ts
From: mike on
Gary Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of the batteries in a lamp leaked and made a mess of the
> contacts. The contacts are springs that aren't very accessible
> so abrading off the residue isn't feasible. Is there a solvent
> or other means of removing the residue?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

If the batteries were us/brand name, just contact the company.
Some will replace any equipment damaged by leaking batteries.

I had a radio with leaky duracells in it. I sent it in with a completed
ebay auction page and they paid
me ebay price for it. No fuss, no muss...
From: Joe on
In article <srmdnXYgL9GOJtrRnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>, "Gary Brown"
<garyjbrown(a)charter.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some of the batteries in a lamp leaked and made a mess of the
> contacts. The contacts are springs that aren't very accessible
> so abrading off the residue isn't feasible. Is there a solvent
> or other means of removing the residue?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

If it's the white powder left after alkaline cells leak, try using plain
water for the solvent. It's worked well for me a couple of times.

--- Joe
From: Dennis on

"Joe" <none(a)given.now> wrote in message
> In article <srmdnXYgL9GOJtrRnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>, "Gary Brown"
> <garyjbrown(a)charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some of the batteries in a lamp leaked and made a mess of the
>> contacts. The contacts are springs that aren't very accessible
>> so abrading off the residue isn't feasible. Is there a solvent
>> or other means of removing the residue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gary
>
> If it's the white powder left after alkaline cells leak, try using plain
> water for the solvent. It's worked well for me a couple of times.
>
> --- Joe

I used water + sodium bicarb (baking powder) + old tooth brush to clean up a
wireless mouse last week. Seemed to work ok.