From: Graeme Zimmer on
Hi,

This post was prompted by the recent discussion about Diode-Connected
Transistors.

The Crystal Set nutters are always seeking the holy grail of a perfect diode
detector
(it must be passive of course).

The problem is that existing diodes are lousy rectifiers at low currents
(three steps forward and two steps back).

What is needed is a diode which has a steep forward/reverse curve at very
low currents
(e.g. even with bias, a Silicon diode is worse than the old fashioned
Germanium).

The favorite at present is a zero-bias FET, using the high Q of a tuned
circuit to develop a voltage swing to drive the Gate, which switches
(varies) conduction in the (low impedance) Drain/Source path.

Any comments please?

Thanks ............ Zim

From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:07:44 +1000, "Graeme Zimmer"
<gzimmer(a)wideband.net.au> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This post was prompted by the recent discussion about Diode-Connected
>Transistors.
>
>The Crystal Set nutters are always seeking the holy grail of a perfect diode
>detector
>(it must be passive of course).
>
>The problem is that existing diodes are lousy rectifiers at low currents
>(three steps forward and two steps back).
>
>What is needed is a diode which has a steep forward/reverse curve at very
>low currents
>(e.g. even with bias, a Silicon diode is worse than the old fashioned
>Germanium).
>
>The favorite at present is a zero-bias FET, using the high Q of a tuned
>circuit to develop a voltage swing to drive the Gate, which switches
>(varies) conduction in the (low impedance) Drain/Source path.
>
>Any comments please?
>
>Thanks ............ Zim

I think the best low-level detector diode is a germanium back diode,
essentially a tunnel diode with very low peak point current. People
still make them.

John

From: Graeme Zimmer on
> I think the best low-level detector diode is a germanium back diode,
> essentially a tunnel diode with very low peak point current.

Thanks John,

Yes, Tunnel diodes have a sharp knee and can work well with apropriate bias.

There are many other tricks, such as using as high impedance as possible (to
get higher voltage swing) and a Schottky (eg HP 5082-2835).

The best "normal" diode so far seems to be the rather obscure ITT FO-215

some info on the FO-215 at
http://www.theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?p=16891&sid=12ca5c44ec9c2b7b97a6af75bc6770e7

The FET idea can be seen at:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/culter.pdf

............ Zim

From: Robert Baer on
Graeme Zimmer wrote:
>> I think the best low-level detector diode is a germanium back diode,
>> essentially a tunnel diode with very low peak point current.
>
> Thanks John,
>
> Yes, Tunnel diodes have a sharp knee and can work well with apropriate bias.
>
> There are many other tricks, such as using as high impedance as possible (to
> get higher voltage swing) and a Schottky (eg HP 5082-2835).
>
> The best "normal" diode so far seems to be the rather obscure ITT FO-215
>
> some info on the FO-215 at
> http://www.theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?p=16891&sid=12ca5c44ec9c2b7b97a6af75bc6770e7
>
> The FET idea can be seen at:
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/culter.pdf
>
> ........... Zim

Would not a crystal headset be better for matching and sensitivity?
From: m II on
John Larkin wrote:

> I think the best low-level detector diode is a germanium back diode,
> essentially a tunnel diode with very low peak point current. People
> still make them.

...as visions of a straw covered alpine shack floor, with a germanium
spinning wheel in the corner come to mind. Outside, the dark and
foreboding clouds of the impending Silicon invasion are gathering. A
silence has filled the Valley.

mike