From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On 05 Feb 2010 08:33:02 GMT, Huub <v.niekerk_@_hccnet.nl> wrote:

> I want to cleanup a Windows XP computer that has become rather slow. I
> already ran defrag. What can I do more and how?

There are several possibilities as to what your problem is, but the
most likely one these days is malware infection. What anti-virus and
anti-spyware programs do you run? Are they kept up to date?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Doum on
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> �crivait

> "Huub" <v.niekerk_@_hccnet.nl> said this in news item
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to cleanup a Windows XP computer that has become rather slow.
>> I already ran defrag. What can I do more and how?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Defrag won't make much of a difference but weeding out the many
> unnecessary startup tasks visible in msconfig.exe will. Remember also
> that your virus scanner can place a big burden on your CPU, as can a
> third-party firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

I run ZA Pro security suite on 2 XP and one Seven computer and there is no
annoying slowdown caused by it.
From: Huub on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:33:02 +0000, Huub wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to cleanup a Windows XP computer that has become rather slow. I
> already ran defrag. What can I do more and how?
>
> Thanks.

Thank you for all your replies.

I will do a spy/malware run on the computer and check the msconfig.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On 05 Feb 2010 20:29:00 GMT, Huub <v.niekerk_@_hccnet.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:33:02 +0000, Huub wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to cleanup a Windows XP computer that has become rather slow. I
> > already ran defrag. What can I do more and how?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Thank you for all your replies.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> I will do a spy/malware run on the computer

But you didn't answer my questions. What anti-virus and anti-spyware
programs do you run? Are they kept up to date?

All Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are very far from being
equally good. Just because one of each doesn't find anything doesn't
mean that you are free of infections.

From: sf on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:48:09 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> But you didn't answer my questions. What anti-virus and anti-spyware
> programs do you run? Are they kept up to date?

I have a slow down and slow startup problem too. I've eliminate a
couple of items from my startup and even cleaned up my desktop (which
actually helped a tiny bit). I just finished looking at
start > run > services.msc and put some items on manual that had been
automatic, but my tower is still laboring noisily at the moment.

> All Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are very far from being
> equally good. Just because one of each doesn't find anything doesn't
> mean that you are free of infections.

I use AVG and Ad-Aware. Both are free versions.

> > and check the msconfig.

Done.

There was nothing odd that I could tell, but I'm not a computer
expert. I'm wondering if I should run Hijack This and post to a
forum?

My other problem is that I will get a "server busy" error message
notification (not every time, but way too often) when using a
hyperlink in email that should open the link in my browser.
"Messenger" is on automatic, if that helps.

If you have any ideas or feedback, I would appreciate it.

TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.