From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:50:53 -0800, sf <sf(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:48:09 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> >
> > But you didn't answer my questions. What anti-virus and anti-spyware
> > programs do you run? Are they kept up to date?
>
> I have a slow down and slow startup problem too. I've eliminate a
> couple of items from my startup and even cleaned up my desktop (which
> actually helped a tiny bit). I just finished looking at
> start > run > services.msc and put some items on manual that had been
> automatic, but my tower is still laboring noisily at the moment.
> >
> > All Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are very far from being
> > equally good. Just because one of each doesn't find anything doesn't
> > mean that you are free of infections.
>
> I use AVG and Ad-Aware. Both are free versions.

Not terrible, but not the best products. If you want to stay with
freeware products, I recommend changing from AVG to either Avast or
Avira, and either replacing AdAware with *both* MalwareBytes
Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware (or keeping AdAware and adding those
two to your aarsenal).

> > > and check the msconfig.
>
> Done.
>
> There was nothing odd that I could tell, but I'm not a computer
> expert. I'm wondering if I should run Hijack This and post to a
> forum?
>
> My other problem is that I will get a "server busy" error message
> notification (not every time, but way too often) when using a
> hyperlink in email that should open the link in my browser.
> "Messenger" is on automatic, if that helps.
>
> If you have any ideas or feedback, I would appreciate it.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Brian V on
If I turn all process to manual and not automatic; can this cause any
problems? Should spyware/malware detecting programs always be on automatic?
Anything else?

It's good I read this. I am getting the same thing, and trying to turn off
(or down) all the process taking the ram and cpu. This is helpful.

From: sf on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:04:46 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> Not terrible, but not the best products. If you want to stay with
> freeware products,

Oh, yes... always free. I don't use my computer for business so
buying those things are not a write off for me.

> I recommend changing from AVG to either Avast or Avira,

Funny you would say that, because I've used both in the past. What
makes them better than AVG in your opinion? Do they scan email and
web pages too?

> and either replacing AdAware with *both* MalwareBytes
> Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware (or keeping AdAware and adding those
> two to your aarsenal).

Thanks for those tips, because they are new products to me. They
won't conflict with each other and slow me down? I'm not very
impressed with Ad-Aware in its new form, so I was going to look around
anyway. Do you think I need a registry cleaner too, if so which one?

From: sf on
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:40:01 -0800, Brian V
<BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> If I turn all process to manual and not automatic; can this cause any
> problems? Should spyware/malware detecting programs always be on automatic?
> Anything else?
>
> It's good I read this. I am getting the same thing, and trying to turn off
> (or down) all the process taking the ram and cpu. This is helpful.

I can tell you one thing for sure. If you fiddle with local services,
keep messenger turned on - it's not an IM type messenger.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 23:22:37 -0800, sf <sf(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:04:46 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> > Not terrible, but not the best products. If you want to stay with
> > freeware products,
>
> Oh, yes... always free. I don't use my computer for business so
> buying those things are not a write off for me.
>
> > I recommend changing from AVG to either Avast or Avira,
>
> Funny you would say that, because I've used both in the past. What
> makes them better than AVG in your opinion?

Less intrusive and catch more things.

> Do they scan email and

Scanning e-mail is totally unnecessary. They can do it, but I
recommend turning off that feature.

> web pages too?
>
> > and either replacing AdAware with *both* MalwareBytes
> > Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware (or keeping AdAware and adding those
> > two to your aarsenal).
>
> Thanks for those tips, because they are new products to me. They
> won't conflict with each other and slow me down?

Run one at a time.

> I'm not very
> impressed with Ad-Aware in its new form, so I was going to look around
> anyway. Do you think I need a registry cleaner too, if so which one?

No! Avoid all registry cleaners like the plague!

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup