From: Datesfat Chicks on
I just need to "clickwrap" some source code so that a person MUST agree to
the terms before installing it.

QUESTION #1

What is the simplest product out there that will:

a)Display a license agreement and not perform the installation if the person
does not agree to the agreement.

b)Do the installation (which in my case is just installing a bunch of text
files).

??

QUESTION #2

And if I move on to more professional installations with registry changes,
copying files, etc., what is the best overall installation product?

QUESTION #3

My recollection of InstallShield Express is that you have to specify files
individually. Any products out there that will just install a whole
directory "tree" without having to specify each individual file?

Thanks, Datesfat

From: Leslie Milburn on

"Datesfat Chicks" <datesfat.chicks(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just need to "clickwrap" some source code so that a person MUST agree to
>the terms before installing it.
>
> QUESTION #1
>
> What is the simplest product out there that will:
>
> a)Display a license agreement and not perform the installation if the
> person does not agree to the agreement.
>
> b)Do the installation (which in my case is just installing a bunch of text
> files).

Write your own exe which unzips a password protected zip file if they agree
to the licence.

> QUESTION #2
>
> And if I move on to more professional installations with registry changes,
> copying files, etc., what is the best overall installation product?

I prefer Installshield Express but Wise is also a good product. Of course,
it depends upon your budget.

> QUESTION #3
>
> My recollection of InstallShield Express is that you have to specify files
> individually. Any products out there that will just install a whole
> directory "tree" without having to specify each individual file?
>
> Thanks, Datesfat

Installshield Express allows you to either specify individual files or whole
trees.

hth
Leslie.

From: Bob Masta on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:22:27 -0500, "Datesfat
Chicks" <datesfat.chicks(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I just need to "clickwrap" some source code so that a person MUST agree to
>the terms before installing it.
>
>QUESTION #1
>
>What is the simplest product out there that will:
>
>a)Display a license agreement and not perform the installation if the person
>does not agree to the agreement.
>
>b)Do the installation (which in my case is just installing a bunch of text
>files).
>
>??
>
>QUESTION #2
>
>And if I move on to more professional installations with registry changes,
>copying files, etc., what is the best overall installation product?
>
>QUESTION #3
>
>My recollection of InstallShield Express is that you have to specify files
>individually. Any products out there that will just install a whole
>directory "tree" without having to specify each individual file?
>
>Thanks, Datesfat

I use NSIS, but many software authors prefer Inno
Setup. These are scriptable installers, so you
can do just about anything you want. Both are
free, although Inno accepts donations. These can
definitely handle #1 and #2 above, but I don't
know about #3 as I have never had the need. But I
would expect they can do it as well.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v5.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator
Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever!
(Some assembly required)
Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Pages: 1
Prev: hWnd or ChWnd?
Next: Parallel Port I/O