From: PMokover on
How can I "clone" all of my Outlook 2007 data and settings (EVERYTHING) from
one PC to another?

Note: I am not necessarily looking for an ongoing syncing utility. I need
something that can do a one-time copy of all data and all settings from one
PC to another. I don't want to have to manually setup email accounts,
folders, calendars, various options, etc. on the new PC - just clone it all
from the old PC. (I know I can copy the PST file but that appears to have
only data, no settings.)

Is it possible to do this just by copying certain files from one PC to the
other? If so, which files? If it's not that simple, what's the best way?

Thanks.
Peter

P.S. I'm an Outlook newbie - be gentle.

From: Russ Valentine on
You can't, nor should you try.
You should set up your mail accounts from scratch on the other PC.
You can read countless posts here that tell you how to migrate your data.
Follow them very carefully. Do not trust your instincts.
The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and
contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003 or 2007.
Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to
connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook
profile. Copy it
anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook
profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer
Outlook data. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become
too deeply flawed to be of any use.
--
Russ Valentine