From: PeterM on
I have a AC2003 bound form. The condition I'm trying to capture is if the
user modifies any item on the form and they close the form without saving
changes. Simple...right? I found out that Form_Close doesn't work so I
tried the following code in the Form_Unload event and that isn't working
either. It does not even trigger the event. Can someone please tell me what
I'm doing wrong? I would be much appreciated.

If Me.btnSave.Enabled Then
Dim strMsg As String
strMsg = strMsg & "Save Changes?" & Chr(13) & Chr(13)
If MsgBox(strMsg, vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Please Confirm!") = vbYes
Then
DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
acMenuVer70
Else
Cancel = True
End If
End If
End Sub

From: Jeanette Cunningham on
You can code the save button like this:

Private Sub btnSave_Click()
Dim strMsg As String
strMsg = strMsg & "Save Changes?" & Chr(13) & Chr(13)

If Me.Dirty = True Then
If MsgBox(strMsg, vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Please Confirm!") = vbYes Then
Me.Dirty = False
Else
Me.Undo
End If
End If
End Sub

You will need some error handling to trap errors if something stops the
save, for example a required field missing.

From: PeterM on
I don't think I've explained the problem clearly. I have the save button
setup the way you define in your example. How do I capture if the user
changes a bound item on a form and tries to close the form without clicking
on the save button first. There is no close button on the form, a form is
closed by a parent form when another form is opened. I need to determine
when the form is closed but still is dirty. THe unload and close events
don't work in that situation.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 22:00:58 -0700, PeterM <PeterM(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I don't think I've explained the problem clearly. I have the save button
>setup the way you define in your example. How do I capture if the user
>changes a bound item on a form and tries to close the form without clicking
>on the save button first. There is no close button on the form, a form is
>closed by a parent form when another form is opened. I need to determine
>when the form is closed but still is dirty. THe unload and close events
>don't work in that situation.

Use the form's BeforeUpdate event. It will fire if any field value is changed
and any action is taken that would save it (such as closing the form, pressing
Shift-Enter, etc.) You can set the value of a public variable in the
legitimate "close" button and check that variable's value in the BeforeUpdate
event; if you don't want to save the record, issue a message and set the
event's Cancel parameter to True.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: PeterM on