From: Thomas R. Kettler on
I just downloaded the most recent version of coconutBattery for my mid
2010 17" MacBook Pro. It has the total charge of its battery correctly
but classifies the MacBook Pro as 104 months=8 yrs, 8 months old. Thus,
it claims the MacBook Pro was built in either December 2001 or January
2002. What's up with that?

To give you an idea of what laptops Apple sold at that period, that was
the time of the TiBooks (Titanium PowerBooks) and the white iBook.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook>

I suspect it has to do with Apple's new Serial # scheme but does anyone
know if a fix shall be done?
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
From: David Empson on
Thomas R. Kettler <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:

> I just downloaded the most recent version of coconutBattery for my mid
> 2010 17" MacBook Pro. It has the total charge of its battery correctly
> but classifies the MacBook Pro as 104 months=8 yrs, 8 months old. Thus,
> it claims the MacBook Pro was built in either December 2001 or January
> 2002. What's up with that?

Apple has changed the syntax of the serial numbers with recent models.
The Mid 2010 17" MacBook Pro was the first to use the new syntax, and
I've confirmed it also applies to the mid 2010 Mac Mini, but not the mid
2010 15" MacBook Pro (unless they changed part way through this series).

I haven't seen a mid 2010 iMac yet, but it will probably also be using
the new syntax, as will all future models.

CoconutBattery is trying to interpret the old syntax, which has an
easily readible three digit group showing the year and week of the year.

The new syntax has one more character overall and the existing fields
are packed tighter using more characters in the coding system, making it
harder to decode the date of manufacture.

Apple hasn't publically documented the new scheme. It was published on
MacRumors (probably from a leaked Apple document given the level of
detail) but pulled quickly at the request of Apple. I haven't checked
whether other copies got published or mirrored elsewhere.

The gist of the bit I recall about the date fields is that the year is
now encoded using a character which changes every six months, and the
week within those six months is encoded in a second character.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz