From: Gary Crean on
After a long day yesterday playing telephone tennis with VeriSign / Geotrust.
I found another signing provider that can sign Microsoft Windows Mobile Code.
(So They Say).

£399 later. It doesn't. I seems the only provider that can sign code for
Window Mobile is Verisign / Geotrust.

FYI. Same company.

My comment is.

1. No-body else does it. (Seems many company's have been court by this)

2. Come on Microsoft. What the hell is going on. 1 Provider for code signing
and $5 to sign the code each time is
punishment. Doesn't fit into a nightly build process and no wonder people
are moving to IPhone and Android.

From: Anonymous on

"Gary Crean" <GaryCrean(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a long day yesterday playing telephone tennis with VeriSign /
> Geotrust.
> I found another signing provider that can sign Microsoft Windows Mobile
> Code.
> (So They Say).

<skipped>
> 2. Come on Microsoft. What the hell is going on. 1 Provider for code
> signing
> and $5 to sign the code each time is
> punishment. Doesn't fit into a nightly build process and no wonder people
> are moving to IPhone and Android.

I have been developer for PocketPC since version 2.0 (windowsce). and year
ago, I have started developing for IPhone but now almost put in in 'idle'
state, after developed some community App on IPhone, below is some comments.

If your think develop for Windows Mobile is hard, and IPhone is easy, let
see...

To develop for IPhone, and publish / distribute it , there is no less
headache.

1. Register to Apple, and if your application is going to distribute to
IPhone, you must apply from Apple and Paid at least 100 (for free program
like community services) and if you are collecting fee from your program,
your have to paid much more fee (and the lengthly approval time). Also, you
subscription (certificate) is going to last for about 2 years only.

2. You can only use certain MAC machine as development platfirom. totally
unsupported on PC.
ie, you cannot use PC as development machine (the SDK, XCode and Objective-C
is MAC only .dmg)
So, you need some spend $$$ to buy new machine for it.

Come on Apple, didnt you know that more than 90% of the Computer on the
market is PC ?

3. To deploy to IPhone, you must be registered and get the development
certificate, which then your development tools (XCode) able to deploy to
IPhone. But before that, you need to register your IPhone serial code to
Apple Portal, generate a key, download the key, and then only that
particular IPhone is recognized by XCode (development tools), but not to
other IPhone with different ID, unless you put it on Apple Store.

4. Every OS upgrade, you need to re download the whole SDK, for example, if
your existing SDK only up to OS2.2 but you need to develop for 3.1, you need
to redownload the new SDK, which is 2.4GB !!! there is no small 'patch',
platform SDK download like WindowsCE (PocketPC SDK, WM5 SDK, etc, which is
only at most few ten MB, the Embedded tools, seldom need to upgrade)
Note that there is no progressing download, individual patch, any upgrade -
your need to redownload the GB SDK.

Come on Apple, cant you just provide a small 'patch' or that particular SDK
update instead of everytime OS upgrade, need to re-download the HUGE SDK ?
At least for most country, how many provide such a reliable and fast
connection ? (also the time, halfway connetion drop have to restart again).

5. Not tired enough for yet another language, another framework ? To your
suprise, it is yet another language, Objective-C, solely used by MAC.and
'Cocoa' framework.

6. etc...

X5425

From: Anonymous on

"Anonymous" <anonymous(a)an.any> wrote in message

> "Gary Crean" <GaryCrean(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> After a long day yesterday playing telephone tennis with VeriSign /
>> Geotrust.
>> I found another signing provider that can sign Microsoft Windows Mobile
>> Code.
>> (So They Say).

> <skipped>
>> 2. Come on Microsoft. What the hell is going on. 1 Provider for code
>> signing
>> and $5 to sign the code each time is
>> punishment. Doesn't fit into a nightly build process and no wonder people
>> are moving to IPhone and Android.
>
> I have been developer for PocketPC since version 2.0 (windowsce). and year
> ago, I have started developing for IPhone but now almost put in in 'idle'
> state, after developed some community App on IPhone, below is some
> comments.
>
> If your think develop for Windows Mobile is hard, and IPhone is easy, let
> see...
>
> To develop for IPhone, and publish / distribute it , there is no less
> headache.
>
> 1. Register to Apple, and if your application is going to distribute to
> IPhone, you must apply from Apple and Paid at least 100 (for free program
> like community services) and if you are collecting fee from your program,
> your have to paid much more fee (and the lengthly approval time). Also,
> you subscription (certificate) is going to last for about 2 years only.
>
> 2. You can only use certain MAC machine as development platfirom. totally
> unsupported on PC.
> ie, you cannot use PC as development machine (the SDK, XCode and
> Objective-C is MAC only .dmg)
> So, you need some spend $$$ to buy new machine for it.
>
> Come on Apple, didnt you know that more than 90% of the Computer on the
> market is PC ?
>
> 3. To deploy to IPhone, you must be registered and get the development
> certificate, which then your development tools (XCode) able to deploy to
> IPhone. But before that, you need to register your IPhone serial code to
> Apple Portal, generate a key, download the key, and then only that
> particular IPhone is recognized by XCode (development tools), but not to
> other IPhone with different ID, unless you put it on Apple Store.
>
> 4. Every OS upgrade, you need to re download the whole SDK, for example,
> if your existing SDK only up to OS2.2 but you need to develop for 3.1, you
> need to redownload the new SDK, which is 2.4GB !!! there is no small
> 'patch', platform SDK download like WindowsCE (PocketPC SDK, WM5 SDK, etc,
> which is only at most few ten MB, the Embedded tools, seldom need to
> upgrade)
> Note that there is no progressing download, individual patch, any
> upgrade - your need to redownload the GB SDK.

Some more,
1 - you need to upgrade the MAC OS also, just to support the new SDK....
2 - you need to download the SDK also if you do not publish on Apple store,
your SDK up to 2.2, but to deploy to 3.x OS phone, ,
even your plan to deploy our program in OS2.2 binaries.

There is no .msi, .cab or setup.exe equivalent, jail-breaking (hacked code)
might be answer, but carefull cause every OS update, all your thing in
IPhone is washed unless you use the telco / unlocked IPhone.

From: Mike Coon on
Anonymous wrote:
> 5. Not tired enough for yet another language, another framework ? To
> your suprise, it is yet another language, Objective-C, solely used by
> MAC.and 'Cocoa' framework.

Wow; I used Objective-C as the 1st object-oriented language I had come
across well over a decade (perhaps two) ago. It was (then) nothing to do
with Apple or phones, of course. Was unimpressed with the level of support
but a lot must have happened since then!

Mike.
--
If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
where needed.

From: Peter Foot on

You shouldn't be signing every build so $5 for each nightly build should
never be an option. You only need to sign builds that you release. You can
build, debug and test without signing or you can use the development
certificates - you just need to configure your test device by deploying the
development certificates package (there is a cab file in the Windows Mobile
SDK) and you can use the Device Security Manager (Tools menu in Visual
Studio 2008) to set the security mode on the connected device. You can
either turn off security completely or have it operate in One-Tier or
Two-tier with your code signed with either the privileged or unprivileged
development certificate.

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Microsoft Device Application Development MVP