From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 07:02 PM, Bendenj wrote:

>> I have a question :

>> Say that I'm trying to sample coherently an IF multi-tone signal.
>> IF = From RF to some intermidate Freq.

>> do I need to be coherent to the IF freq? or do I have to be coherent
>> to the spacing between the tones in the signal? both?

> I'm not sure that "coherently to the IF frequency" has any meaning.

I think so (after reading the wikipedia page). I think you have
to be a little lucky, though. Either that, or phase lock the IF to
an appropriate multiple of the RF carrier.

This reminds me of the complicated rules of the NTSC color
subcarrier, selected such that different frequencies had the
appropriate relationship with each other. In addition, it was
necessary to have the appropriate relation to the difference
between the video carrier and sound carrier.

> You can be coherent to some signal that's in the IF, but
> generally it's easier to have the ADC sample rate fixed,
> and do any necessary rotation, phase locking, etc., in software.

-- glen
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Bendenj wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a question :
>
> Say that I'm trying to sample coherently an IF multi-tone signal.
> IF = From RF to some intermidate Freq.
>
> do I need to be coherent to the IF freq? or do I have to be coherent
> to the spacing between the tones in the signal? both?

To begin with, you need to develop coherent thought and speech.

VLV
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:02:05 -0500, "Bendenj"
<betzerj(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I have a question :
>
>Say that I'm trying to sample coherently an IF multi-tone signal.
>IF = From RF to some intermidate Freq.
>
>do I need to be coherent to the IF freq? or do I have to be coherent
>to the spacing between the tones in the signal? both?
>
>Thx,
>
>Josh.

It's not completely clear what you mean, but if you mean that you're
mixing the IF down via IF sampling, then it's difficult to not have
the sampling rate be coherent to the IF frequency since the IF
frequency and sampling are locked.

If you mean to ask wether the sampling has to be coherent to an IF
mixing frequency, including any frequency offset, in order to
synchronize a multi-carrier signal, then the answer is no. Frequency
offset can be removed numerically.

A tricky thing to get right in a multi-carrier signal, however, is
matching the sampling rate to the symbol rate. There are some
caveats there that can make life difficult if not done carefully.

If you mean something else that nobody has figured out, consider
clarifying the question.

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications