From: Peter T on
That's the constant value for vbWindowbackground, ie a system setting,
typically white. I don't understand your question, you can apply that
constant directly. If you want to return the user's system colour(s) it's
easy enough with the GetSystemColor API, but you don't need to, at least to
set the colour properties of activeX controls.

Curiosity, having informed you how to go about getting a range of colour
shades why didn't you follow it up.

Regards,
Peter T

From: Paul W Smith on
Sorry Peter I have used the method of getting shades by graduating the L
value. I was doing this from code so having an RGB value was no issue.

This is another issue which is why I tried to start another thread (but
failed).

What I have is a heading area which is a range of cells colored with one of
the theme colour. I have as certained that it is :

8210719, RGB(31,73,125) or #1F49FD

I want to place a control on this header range of cells and match the
control's background color to the color of the cells. Using the proprties
on the control I want to set the background color but I cannot find anything
that it will accept. It will not accept #1F49FD so what do I do?

I know I could write something into the worksheet.activate event that colors
the control because this would be doing it vua code, which I can do because
I use the RGB function, but surely ther is a better way i coulod do it at
design time?

From: joel on

the number &H80000005& is a hexidecimal number. The 8 indicates the
sign bit is set so you really have in bits

FFFFFFFB (2's compliment). This isn't a color!!!

From: Peter T on
I'm getting even more confused! It looks like you have moved on now from
values like &H80000005& and system colours to standard RGB values

> 8210719, RGB(31,73,125) or #1F49FD

Where did you get #1F49FD from, it doesn't relate to the RGB or long colour
value in any way I can tell. The hex value is &H7D491F, and can be applied
just like that, but the equivalent for what is sometimes known as WebHex is
#1F497D (notice individual 3 hex values are reversed).

FWIW webHex #1F49FD is RGB(31,73,253)

All colour properties of controls accept RGB longs, so if you want to apply
that (incorrect) # value you'll need to parse it with the mid function, then
add "&H" coerce it to a long value. ActiveX controls can also accept the
window system colour constants, like your &H80000005&.

> I have used the method of getting shades by graduating the L value.
> I was doing this from code so having an RGB value was no issue.

I don't understand what you've been doing there at all but not to worry.

From: Peter T on
As I have already tried to explain, its a constant. Namely
vbWindowBackground, used to return a system colour.

Regards,
Peter T