From: Paul W Smith on
I want to have 20 shades of a color. 1 being the darkest, 20 being the
lightest. I am going to use this to color the cell background through code
based on the 1 - 20 value.

If I use .color = 6684672 as the 1 value, how do I graduate this down to say
..color = 16767449 as the 20 value?

From: joel on

I usually record a macro and then maually select the colors I want.
Then use the color numbers from the recorded macro in my code. the
color numbers is a hexidecimal number which is in three parts (Red=0 to
255, Green=0 to 255, Blue=0 to 255).

So you could uses

Red = 25
Green = 50
Blue = 10

Mycolor = (Red*256*256) + (Green*256) + Blue

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

From: Peter T on
Do a quick search for functions to convert RGB to HSL, and back again HSL to
RGB, you'll find lots of examples to play with.

Having return HS discard the L. Make 20 incremented values between say 0.8
to 0.1 as new L values (0 will be black and 1 white, so don't bother with
values near those). With the original H & S and your new Ls make your new
RGBs.

FWIW, with 20 shades it will be difficult to distinguish them all unless
they are placed adjacent, only then are the small shade differences
noticeable.

Regards,
Peter T

From: Paul W Smith on
Thanks Joel.

I too record macros to get color numbers.

However in this instance I can use this meethod to determine to number for
the darkest color, but how do I find the number of the next shade.... with
the shades graduating on a scale of 1 to 20 with 1 being the darkest and 20
being the lightest?

From: joel on

Pick 20 different shade in the macro. Don't use colorindex, instead
select more colors. Convert the shades to hexidecimal to help you get
the inbetween shades

MyColor = 10053375
RedShade = int(MyColor/(256*256))
GreenShade = int(MyColor/256) mod 256