From: Nigel V Thomas on
On further investigation...

It would appear to be something todo with LINK.EXE, maybe path too long or
too many command line args...

HELP!

Nigel

From: expvb on
"Nigel V Thomas" <NigelVThomas(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On further investigation...
>
> It would appear to be something todo with LINK.EXE, maybe path too long or
> too many command line args...

What happens when you try to compile a new project? What happens when you
"cd" to the folder that VB98 is in?

CD C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98

In a command prompt, type "path" and press enter, then post the result here.
Also, export the contents of the following key, and look in these folders
for EXE's with the same name, such as C2.EXE, and LINK.EXE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

Search the drive for C2.EXE, and LINK.EXE, and try to rename them
momentarily.

From: Nigel V Thomas on
Thanks for the reply...

> What happens when you try to compile a new project? What happens when you
> "cd" to the folder that VB98 is in?

All other projects compile OK, in IDE and using command line VB6 /m
<PROJECT>

> CD C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98

Folder Vb98 exists and contain VB6.EXE, C2.EXE, LINK.EXE and so on

> In a command prompt, type "path" and press enter, then post the result
> here. Also, export the contents of the following key, and look in these
> folders for EXE's with the same name, such as C2.EXE, and LINK.EXE:

PATH = C:\;C:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vb98

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
Lots of entries under...App Paths, nothing to do with VB as far as I can see

> Search the drive for C2.EXE, and LINK.EXE, and try to rename them
> momentarily.
No other C2.EXE or LINK.EXE files other than those in \VB98

may be worth adding that my project has over 254 modules (OBJ files)

From: expvb on
"Nigel V Thomas" <nospaml(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> may be worth adding that my project has over 254 modules (OBJ files)

Maybe you hit some command line limit, not to mention project limit, but in
the later case it won't compile in the IDE. Try changing some file names by
making them shorter. You don't have to change the module name, just the file
name. You can use Save As for this, or edit the file name in the VBP file.
Don't forgot to edit the binary files as well, such as FRX files. If you use
Save As, it will rename them for you.

From: expvb on
"expvb" <nobody(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> "Nigel V Thomas" <nospaml(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> may be worth adding that my project has over 254 modules (OBJ files)
>
> Maybe you hit some command line limit, not to mention project limit, but
> in the later case it won't compile in the IDE. Try changing some file
> names by making them shorter. You don't have to change the module name,
> just the file name. You can use Save As for this, or edit the file name in
> the VBP file. Don't forgot to edit the binary files as well, such as FRX
> files. If you use Save As, it will rename them for you.

On a second thought, renaming manually is a bad idea. When a property
contain a binary value, like pictures and icons, VB puts it in the "??X"
file and put a reference to it in the FRM file like the following:

Icon = "Form1.frx":0000

So use Save As instead. There are other "??X" files for UserControls,
Designers, Property pages, etc.