From: Mike S on
On 7/28/2010 7:18 AM, dingdongdingding wrote:
> Mine is Home. Advice ? Thanks
>
> On Jul 28, 6:51 pm, John John - MVP<audetw...(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> On 7/28/2010 3:07 AM, dingdongdingding wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any command line utilisation to capture CPU, memory, network,
>>> harddisk or some of these ? Thanks, sc
>>
>> Which version of Windows XP are you using? With XP Pro you can use WMIC.
>>
>> John

You know about netstat and ipconfig right?

http://commandwindows.com/tcpiputil.htm

From: Mike S on
On 7/28/2010 3:51 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
> On 7/28/2010 3:07 AM, dingdongdingding wrote:
>> Is there any command line utilisation to capture CPU, memory, network,
>> harddisk or some of these ? Thanks, sc
>
> Which version of Windows XP are you using? With XP Pro you can use WMIC.

Are you sure it requires Pro?

Microsoft is creating a lot of good reasons to make the command prompt
in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family your home for systems
management.

Mike
From: Mike S on
On 7/27/2010 11:07 PM, dingdongdingding wrote:
> Is there any command line utilisation to capture CPU, memory, network,
> harddisk or some of these ? Thanks, sc

processor

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/output-cpu-utilization-to-text-file/65928.html

typeperf "\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time" -sc 1 > proc.txt

I'm not sure how many other processor commands you can run this way but
it looks like a lot

---------------------
http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1575

As a DBA I like to take advantage of command line tools when I'm working
on performance tuning and optimizing my SQL Server databases. One of
the things I typically need to do is to collect performance data on the
server which includes CPU, memory and disk utilization as well as SQL
Server-specific data. What command line tools are available to do this?

Solution
TYPEPERF.EXE is a command line tool included with the Windows operating
system that writes performance data to the command window or to a file.
It is necessary to capture performance data whenever you are trying to
diagnose performance issues on a server. Performance data provides
information on the server's utilization of the processor, memory, and
disk, as well as SQL Server-specific performance data.

----------------
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/nt_command_typeperf.mspx?mfr=true

To display processor and memory counters, type:
typeperf "\Memory\Available bytes" "\processor(_total)\% processor time"

-----------------
https://www.faultwire.com/file_detail/typeperf.exe*297.html

run typeperf -q to see a list of things that it can report on

-----------------

more reading:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/05/12/two-minute-drill-typeperf.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753182(WS.10).aspx

Mike
From: John John - MVP on
Mike S wrote:
> On 7/28/2010 3:51 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
>> On 7/28/2010 3:07 AM, dingdongdingding wrote:
>>> Is there any command line utilisation to capture CPU, memory, network,
>>> harddisk or some of these ? Thanks, sc
>>
>> Which version of Windows XP are you using? With XP Pro you can use WMIC.
>
> Are you sure it requires Pro?

Yes.

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742610.aspx
>
> Microsoft is creating a lot of good reasons to make the command prompt
> in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family your home for systems
> management.

XP Home is lacking of several of the command line tools available in XP
Pro and XP Pro is lacking of a lot of the tools available on Server
2003. As for your other suggestions, my understanding of the OP's post
was that he wanted to monitor from the command line, if all he wants is
to list the installed hardware then there are many built-in tools for
this, like the ones you suggested. If he wants to monitor the only one
that would work would be typeperf.

John
From: John John - MVP on
John John - MVP wrote:
> Mike S wrote:
>>>
>>> Which version of Windows XP are you using? With XP Pro you can use WMIC.
>>
>> Are you sure it requires Pro?
>
> Yes.
>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742610.aspx
>>
>> Microsoft is creating a lot of good reasons to make the command prompt
>> in Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family your home for systems
>> management.
>
> XP Home is lacking of several of the command line tools available in XP
> Pro and XP Pro is lacking of a lot of the tools available on Server
> 2003. As for your other suggestions, my understanding of the OP's post
> was that he wanted to monitor from the command line, if all he wants is
> to list the installed hardware then there are many built-in tools for
> this, like the ones you suggested. If he wants to monitor the only one
> that would work would be typeperf.

On second thought, I don't think that Typeperf is available on XP Home.

John