From: Barry Watzman on
Several posts in this thread have mentioned the cost of Nikon scanners.

You should be able to get scanners for approximately:

LS-30/LS-2000: $225 to $350
LS-40/LS-4000: $450 to $600
LS-50: $500 to $600
LS-5000: $850 to $1,000

These prices are for FULLY SERVICED AND CLEANED COMPLETE UNITS WITH ALL
STANDARD ACCESSORIES. This includes a slide film adapter and a negative
adapter (for example, MA-20/21 and SA-20/21), plus cables.

The bulk slide feeders run $300 to $500. There are 3 models, the
SF-200, SF-200(S) and SF-210. The only difference between the 200 and
200(S) is cosmetic (color of the plastic). The SF-210 has a
mechanically adjustable "gate width" which people simulate on the -200's
using credit cards or sheet metal shims (do a web search for SF-200 Jam)
to reduce the jam rate. All 3 feeders are essentially identical
otherwise (the scanner and software cannot tell them apart) and all 3
work in the LS-2000, -4000 and -5000 (only).

The scanners have, for some reason, become scarcer lately and the prices
have gone up. Note that the VAST majority of scanners sold on E-Bay are
incomplete, not working properly and/or dirty and in need of cleaning.
Note that even "new in box" scanners that have been sitting unused can
easily be defective, as one of the persistent problems with the Nikon
units is that the lubricant grease dries out and gums up the mechanism
after a few years.
From: Toni Nikkanen on
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> writes:

> Several posts in this thread have mentioned the cost of Nikon scanners.
>
> You should be able to get scanners for approximately:
>
> LS-30/LS-2000: $225 to $350
> LS-40/LS-4000: $450 to $600
> LS-50: $500 to $600
> LS-5000: $850 to $1,000

Thanks for the info. Now please tell me where to get the LS-50
for $500 - $600, i'll order right away... :)
In other words, these are the prices that used to be reasonable
typical prices for the units in good condition, but they don't seem
to be available for reasonable prices anymore :(

Personally actually I'm looking towards upgrading my LS-8000 to
LS-9000 and am pondering what would be the best timing etc. for that..

From: Barry Watzman on
These models have commonly sold on E-Bay at the prices I listed.
However, as I noted, the supplies of at least good units have decreased
dramatically, and the prices have gone up over the past 6+ months or so.