From: Mike Prager on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:39:36 +0000 (UTC), David Duffy
<davidD(a)orpheus.qimr.edu.au> wrote:

>Mike Prager <mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
>
>> * I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
>> versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
>> makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
>> about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
>> DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.
>
>If you wished to use gfortran or g95 under Windows, depending on how
>sophisticated you wanted your GUI to look (rather than act ;)),
>you could try PDCurses eg
>http://www.projectpluto.com/win32a.htm
>
>There would still be some fiddling with your code. The nice thing about
>PDCurses is that it creates a new "native" window, rather than just running
>in a standard console.
>
>I added *just* a graphical file chooser to a console program
>using JAPI, (http://www.japi.de) which works beautifully, and is fairly
>portable across different systems (Java has to be present on the
>target). Unfortunately JAPI is no longer being developed, and I haven't
>tried it on Vista/Windows7.

Thanks to David, Ian, Ralf, and Robin for comments. All helpful.

The special Windows requirement is to be able to drag and drop a data
file onto the program icon to cause the program to analyze the data
file. That doesn't work with console programs, at least any way I've
tried. It does work with QuickWin or VSW. It's needed for teaching
undergrads, for most of whom a command prompt is a foreign concept.

Mike
From: e p chandler on

"Mike Prager" <mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:39:36 +0000 (UTC), David Duffy
> <davidD(a)orpheus.qimr.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>Mike Prager <mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
>>> versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
>>> makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
>>> about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
>>> DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.
>>
>>If you wished to use gfortran or g95 under Windows, depending on how
>>sophisticated you wanted your GUI to look (rather than act ;)),
>>you could try PDCurses eg
>>http://www.projectpluto.com/win32a.htm
>>
>>There would still be some fiddling with your code. The nice thing about
>>PDCurses is that it creates a new "native" window, rather than just
>>running
>>in a standard console.
>>
>>I added *just* a graphical file chooser to a console program
>>using JAPI, (http://www.japi.de) which works beautifully, and is fairly
>>portable across different systems (Java has to be present on the
>>target). Unfortunately JAPI is no longer being developed, and I haven't
>>tried it on Vista/Windows7.
>
> Thanks to David, Ian, Ralf, and Robin for comments. All helpful.
>
> The special Windows requirement is to be able to drag and drop a data
> file onto the program icon to cause the program to analyze the data
> file. That doesn't work with console programs, at least any way I've
> tried. It does work with QuickWin or VSW. It's needed for teaching
> undergrads, for most of whom a command prompt is a foreign concept.
>
> Mike

This program works for me on Vista (32 bit). Just retrieve the command line
or a command line argument.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\epc\temp>type x.f90
character*64 s
integer i,ier

call get_command(s,i,ier)
print *,'|',s,'|'
print *,i,ier
pause

end

C:\Users\epc\temp>g95 x.f90

C:\Users\epc\temp>a hello, world
|a hello, world |
14 0
PAUSE statement executed. Hit Return to continue

Now when I drag and drop "foo.dat" onto "a.exe" here is what I see in the
console window:

|C:\Users\epc\Desktop\a.exe C:\Users\epc\Desktop\foo.dat |
55 0
PAUSE statement executed. Hit Return to continue

I don't know if this works on XP or earlier.

--- Elliot

From: David Duffy on
Mike Prager <mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
> The special Windows requirement is to be able to drag and drop a data
> file onto the program icon to cause the program to analyze the data
> file. That doesn't work with console programs, at least any way I've
> tried.

I know v. little about Windows, especially more modern ones, but to add
just that functionality you can use scripting. Wsh, Wscript/Jscript/VBScript
should be able to do this in just a few lines:

[UNTESTED]
Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
WshShell.Run "your_exe < " & objArgs(1)

Cheers, David Duffy.
From: Gary L. Scott on
On 6/20/2010 12:44 PM, Mike Prager wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:39:36 +0000 (UTC), David Duffy
> <davidD(a)orpheus.qimr.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Mike Prager<mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
>>> versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
>>> makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
>>> about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
>>> DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.
>>
>> If you wished to use gfortran or g95 under Windows, depending on how
>> sophisticated you wanted your GUI to look (rather than act ;)),
>> you could try PDCurses eg
>> http://www.projectpluto.com/win32a.htm
>>
>> There would still be some fiddling with your code. The nice thing about
>> PDCurses is that it creates a new "native" window, rather than just running
>> in a standard console.
>>
>> I added *just* a graphical file chooser to a console program
>> using JAPI, (http://www.japi.de) which works beautifully, and is fairly
>> portable across different systems (Java has to be present on the
>> target). Unfortunately JAPI is no longer being developed, and I haven't
>> tried it on Vista/Windows7.
>
> Thanks to David, Ian, Ralf, and Robin for comments. All helpful.
>
> The special Windows requirement is to be able to drag and drop a data
> file onto the program icon to cause the program to analyze the data
> file. That doesn't work with console programs, at least any way I've
> tried. It does work with QuickWin or VSW. It's needed for teaching
> undergrads, for most of whom a command prompt is a foreign concept.
>
> Mike

Gino can do that and is one of the easiest to program.
From: Mike Prager on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:27:09 -0500, "Gary L. Scott"
<garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:39:36 +0000 (UTC), David Duffy
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Prager<mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
>>
>> The special Windows requirement is to be able to drag and drop a data
>> file onto the program icon to cause the program to analyze the data
>> file. That doesn't work with console programs, at least any way I've
>> tried. It does work with QuickWin or VSW. It's needed for teaching
>> undergrads, for most of whom a command prompt is a foreign concept.
>
>Gino can do that and is one of the easiest to program.

Yes. It's also US $3600!