From: Mike Prager on
I am in the market for a single copy of a commercial* Fortran compiler
to use under Windows. I'm seeking advice on the options.

Because I am a one-man, part-time consulting shop, price is important.
Lahey Express is cheap, but apparently it's not being updated any
more. Intel and Absoft both seem good and current. Absoft is a bit
cheaper, and from what I can see, it is fast and complete. However,
its diagnostics aren't so great. On the other hand, its IDE was
designed for Fortran, which would be a pleasant change -- I don't much
care for Visual Studio.

Any comments on these or other suitable compilers -- including
comments on tech support -- would be helpful. Feel free to send them
by email if you would rather comment privately.

Thanks!

Mike Prager

* I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.
From: robin on

Mike Prager wrote in message ...
>I am in the market for a single copy of a commercial* Fortran compiler
>to use under Windows. I'm seeking advice on the options.
>
>Because I am a one-man, part-time consulting shop, price is important.
>Lahey Express is cheap, but apparently it's not being updated any
>more. Intel and Absoft both seem good and current. Absoft is a bit
>cheaper, and from what I can see, it is fast and complete. However,
>its diagnostics aren't so great. On the other hand, its IDE was
>designed for Fortran, which would be a pleasant change -- I don't much
>care for Visual Studio.
>
>Any comments on these or other suitable compilers -- including
>comments on tech support -- would be helpful. Feel free to send them
>by email if you would rather comment privately.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mike Prager
>
>* I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
>versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
>makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
>about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
>DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.

Absoft is a good buy; also Silverfrost for diagnostics.

From: ralf.schaa on
On Jun 19, 7:22 am, Mike Prager <mike.pra...(a)mhprager.com> wrote:
> I am in the market for a single copy of a commercial* Fortran compiler
> to use under Windows. I'm seeking advice on the options.

I used to work with AbsoftV9 - I don't remember any issues with it;
also the debugger works fine. I prefer the Visual Studio environment,
simply because you always have one interface and don't need to switch
between different windows (project, editor, debugger - however that
could have changed in the latest Absoft versions). The Intel compiler
also has an active and large newsgroup where help is provided quickly
(as does this newsgroup). I'm not sure about the latest Fortran2003
features in Absoft, but it seems Intel has a lot of it.
Cheers
R.
From: Ian on
There are a number sites that have information on Fortran and
Fortran compilers.

Our site

http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/

has a resource file

http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/fortran_resources.pdf

The Polyhedron site

http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/

has a compiler comparison table

http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/compare0html

We also have a document that looks at the degree
of support for the 2003 and 2008 standards.

http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/fortran_2003_2008_compiler_support.pdf

Cheers

Ian Chivers
From: David Duffy on
Mike Prager <mike.prager(a)mhprager.com> wrote:

> * I am looking only at commercial products because none of the free
> versions has an option (like Lahey's vsw or Intel's QuickWin) that
> makes a simple Windows program without coding changes. If I'm wrong
> about that, it would be great to know it. I have considered using
> DISLIN's widget routines, but that is a much more complex approach.

If you wished to use gfortran or g95 under Windows, depending on how
sophisticated you wanted your GUI to look (rather than act ;)),
you could try PDCurses eg
http://www.projectpluto.com/win32a.htm

There would still be some fiddling with your code. The nice thing about
PDCurses is that it creates a new "native" window, rather than just running
in a standard console.

I added *just* a graphical file chooser to a console program
using JAPI, (http://www.japi.de) which works beautifully, and is fairly
portable across different systems (Java has to be present on the
target). Unfortunately JAPI is no longer being developed, and I haven't
tried it on Vista/Windows7.

Cheers, David Duffy.