From: Richard Sparks on
Ever since I upgraded my computer's operating system to Windows 7, I have
found that using the Compact file function in Outlook 2007 to be much less
reliable. I have a relatively large pst file, and when I try to run the
"Compact Now" feature in Outlook to make it a little smaller, it is very slow
in performing that function, and I often see "Not Respoding" pop up on my
screen while it is running. It usually ends up completing the task, but it
seems to be very painful in doing that. I had none of these problems when
running either Vista or XP.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only user seeing this anomaly. Does
anyone have any information about this? Thanks.
From: Sparky on
Hi Richard

I've observed the same. I had Outlook 2003 under XP on my previous machine
and it was flawless.

My PST file is 54 mg. Sadly , I don't have the answer , but it makes me a
little nervous.

I always select WORK OFFLINE before starting it BTW...

From: Gordon on

"Richard Sparks" <RichardSparks(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since I upgraded my computer's operating system to Windows 7, I have
> found that using the Compact file function in Outlook 2007 to be much less
> reliable. I have a relatively large pst file, and when I try to run the
> "Compact Now" feature in Outlook to make it a little smaller, it is very
> slow
> in performing that function, and I often see "Not Respoding" pop up on my
> screen while it is running. It usually ends up completing the task, but
> it
> seems to be very painful in doing that. I had none of these problems when
> running either Vista or XP.
>
> I find it hard to believe that I am the only user seeing this anomaly.
> Does
> anyone have any information about this? Thanks.

If you are using the new Unicode pst format I think you'll find that Outlook
2007 "compacts as it goes" so to speak. You don't need to do a manual
compact unless you have deleted a large quantity of data.
That's probably why you only see a small decrease in file size when you do
it manually - Outlook has already done it!