From: Salad on
Allen Browne wrote:
> If there are spurious relationships, hidden tables, bad data types
> (showing as Chinese chars), it might be worth creating a new database
> and importing everything.
>
> Before doing that, I'd run the standard recovery sequence:
> http://allenbrowne.com/recover.html
>
> Then import all but the problem table.
> Then import the problem table without relationships.
> Then create the valid relations between this table and the others.

A2003 was installed on a new computer that I now work on...a recent
change. So I opened up the Options based on your page and surprise,
surprise, NamedAutoCorrect was on. So I turned it off and the app now
works fine. However, when I compact the file, I receive no error and
the autonumbers don't reset and the temp file (db1...dbN) remains.
After 11 compacts I had 11 db?.mdb files besides my original. I can
live with that now that the app works but I hope we find the solution to
it. I think, at this moment, it has something to do with security or
RDC. Thanks much for the help.

From: Allen Browne on
Right; the problem is probably related to the left-over files after the
compact.

Perhaps the compacted database is one of the new ones, i.e. the original is
not being replaced with the compacted one.

From: Salad on
Allen Browne wrote:
> Right; the problem is probably related to the left-over files after the
> compact.
>
> Perhaps the compacted database is one of the new ones, i.e. the original
> is not being replaced with the compacted one.

That is correct. The original is larger than the db? files. If I open
them up tho the autonumbers still don't reset (temporarily only via your
program) and the don't delete either but leave another db? file behind.

On a side note, been watching the Australian Open and enjoying it. I
did watch the Hopman Cup in Perth the week before. Don't learn much
about Australia but the weather looks nice and warm.
From: Allen Browne on
Warm it is in Perth. On our side of the city it was 40C today (104F.)

Federer's done well. We enjoyed watching Tsonga. I don't think Andy Murray
will survive the final.

From: David W. Fenton on

> I had a bunch
> of DBs there; DB1.MDB to DB9.MDB. For some odd reason the
> Compact/Repair wasn't deleteing the files after Compact. There
> was NO error when I did the compact.
>
> Any idea on why the autonumber didn't reset?

Because the file you're opening has never been compacted.

Remember what a compact does:

1. it locks your existing file exclusively so nobody can do anything
with it.

2. it creates a new file, db#.mdb, and copies the data out of your
original file into it.

3. once it's confirmed that the new db#.mdb is complete and in good
condition, it deletes the original file and renamse db#.mdb to the
original name.

Clearly, there's a failure at #3, and I would expect there to be an
MSysCompactErrors table in your original file.

As to the relationship deletion problem, I would worry about that
after I've resolved the issue with not being able to compact.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last