From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in
>

>>I had a bunch
>>of DBs there; DB1.MDB to DB9.MDB. For some odd reason the
>>Compact/Repair wasn't deleteing the files after Compact. There
>>was NO error when I did the compact.
>>
>>Any idea on why the autonumber didn't reset?
>

> Because the file you're opening has never been compacted.
>
> Remember what a compact does:
>
> 1. it locks your existing file exclusively so nobody can do anything
> with it.
>
> 2. it creates a new file, db#.mdb, and copies the data out of your
> original file into it.
>
> 3. once it's confirmed that the new db#.mdb is complete and in good
> condition, it deletes the original file and renamse db#.mdb to the
> original name.
>
> Clearly, there's a failure at #3, and I would expect there to be an
> MSysCompactErrors table in your original file.
>
> As to the relationship deletion problem, I would worry about that
> after I've resolved the issue with not being able to compact.

Thanks for the explanation David. I was wondering which got
compacted/renamed.

Hmmm. MSysCompactErrors. I made my system tables visible so I guess
it's a temp table as it doesn't exist on my PC. I was able to logon
thru RemoteDesktopConnection to the other PC and I checked the mdbs
there and there were no Msyscompact errors in the main mdb of the DB#.
Is that a table in 2007 as I'm working with 2003? I get no errors
displayed to the screen, looks like it's working, but the DB# files get
created. If I open a DB# it resets the autonumber but if I compact it
it too makes a DB# mdb and fails as well. I am sure I have enough
rights as I can create a file, delete a file or rename the file.

From: David W. Fenton on

> I made my system tables visible so I guess
> it's a temp table as it doesn't exist on my PC. I was able to
> logon thru RemoteDesktopConnection to the other PC and I checked
> the mdbs there and there were no Msyscompact errors in the main
> mdb of the DB#. Is that a table in 2007 as I'm working with 2003?
> I get no errors displayed to the screen, looks like it's working,
> but the DB# files get created. If I open a DB# it resets the
> autonumber but if I compact it it too makes a DB# mdb and fails as
> well. I am sure I have enough rights as I can create a file,
> delete a file or rename the file.

I would import all the data tables into a new database and get rid
of the old one -- I would say it's clearly corrupted at a deep level
that is probably not reparable.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |