From: Allamarein on
I have just installed Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 on Vista, with Visual
Studio 2008.
Anyway If I try to compile a code, it crash.
How can I use Compaq Visual Fortran on Vista?
I tried the compatibly with XP, but it doesn't work.
Maybe I have to install Visual Studio 6?
I cannot use a different compiler.
From: dpb on
Allamarein wrote:
> I have just installed Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 on Vista, with Visual
> Studio 2008.
> Anyway If I try to compile a code, it crash.
> How can I use Compaq Visual Fortran on Vista?
> I tried the compatibly with XP, but it doesn't work.
> Maybe I have to install Visual Studio 6?
> I cannot use a different compiler.

Well, CVF is no longer supported, so if there really is a compatibility
issue your only recourse will be to return to an earlier OS if you
cannot leave CVF.

OTOH, Steve L does read clf and may know something of help or there may
be others who have found this particular nirvana.

I have CVF but not Vista.

I'd also ask, though, what specifically "it crash" means and error and
sample.

On the issue w/ VS, I don't have a clue as to which would be the latest
that might work with it for the IDE but certainly it wouldn't be
terribly surprising if new versions don't. IIRC, it was something like
Developer Studio 98 at release altho that may be from the initial DVF
5.x which was the initial version I installed...

Will work ok from the command line w/o the IDE?

From: Allamarein on
On 12 Lug, 19:49, dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
> Allamarein wrote:
> > I have just installed  Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 on Vista, with Visual
> > Studio 2008.
> > Anyway If I try to compile a code, it crash.
> > How can I use Compaq Visual Fortran on Vista?
> > I tried the compatibly with XP, but it doesn't work.
> > Maybe I have to install Visual Studio 6?
> > I cannot use a different compiler.
>
> Well, CVF is no longer supported, so if there really is a compatibility
> issue your only recourse will be to return to an earlier OS if you
> cannot leave CVF.
>
> OTOH, Steve L does read clf and may know something of help or there may
> be others who have found this particular nirvana.
>
> I have CVF but not Vista.
>
> I'd also ask, though, what specifically "it crash" means and error and
> sample.
>
> On the issue w/ VS, I don't have a clue as to which would be the latest
> that might work with it for the IDE but certainly it wouldn't be
> terribly surprising if new versions don't.  IIRC, it was something like
> Developer Studio 98 at release altho that may be from the initial DVF
> 5.x which was the initial version I installed...
>
> Will work ok from the command line w/o the IDE?
>
> --

I am not able to use CVF by command line.
It crashs means: I open the program and everything is ok.
I tried to load a project and a window appears, "Windows is trying a
solution..." and similar fibs. Then windows close my CVF. Now I'm
trying to get Visual Studio 6. Maybe it works with that...
From: dpb on
Allamarein wrote:

> I am not able to use CVF by command line.

What does this mean specifically, again?

That the compiler won't compile or that you do not want to use the
compiler outside the IDE?

What does

df /logo

at a command prompt do?

Then, how about if a file bugs.f90 contains

program bugs
write(*,*) 'Whassup, doc?'
end

what does

df bugs.f90

do?

> It crashs means: I open the program and everything is ok.
> I tried to load a project and a window appears, "Windows is trying a
> solution..." and similar fibs. Then windows close my CVF. Now I'm
> trying to get Visual Studio 6. Maybe it works with that...

That would be IDE, not the compiler.

Is this an existing project? What if you try a brand new, empty project
and try to populate it?

Altho, again, there's no guarantees w/ later OS and versions of VS.

The above experiment would at least confirm whether the compiler itself
functions (I would certainly presume it will but don't know that).

From: Steve Lionel on
On 7/12/2010 1:27 PM, Allamarein wrote:
> I have just installed Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 on Vista, with Visual
> Studio 2008.
> Anyway If I try to compile a code, it crash.
> How can I use Compaq Visual Fortran on Vista?
> I tried the compatibly with XP, but it doesn't work.
> Maybe I have to install Visual Studio 6?
> I cannot use a different compiler.

Right click on the shortcut for Developer Studio and select "Start as
Administrator". I think that will do it. If you need more help, or
would like assistance in migrating to Intel Visual Fortran, post your
questions at
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/
While CVF is indeed no longer supported, CVF users are welcome in our
forum and help is there.

Note that CVF won't work with VS2008. You will have to use the VS6
interface that CVF installs.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran