From: Bryan Olson on
Craig Feinstein wrote:
> Tim, I appreciate that you have read my paper and have given your
> feedback. I don't agree with your criticisms, but I don't really have
> the time to argue with you either, so let's just agree to disagree.

Friendly as disagreement may be, there's no question that
the argument for "Theorem 2" in

http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0312309

just doesn't work. As Tim Chow noted, "Proofs [...] can derive
general facts about sequences of high complexity without ever
giving a single such sequence explicitly."

Similarly, your P != NP proof has the most common error: the
unjustified assumption that things have to be done a certain way.
No, the best algorithm doesn't necessarily have to attack your
two sub-problems.

--
--Bryan
From: Googmeister on

Craig Feinstein wrote:
> Tim, I appreciate that you have read my paper and have given your
> feedback. I don't agree with your criticisms, but I don't really have
> the time to argue with you either, so let's just agree to disagree.

Tim's has exposed a serious flaw in your argument. Since the
flaw is so fundamental, if you don't have time to reconcile it,
I think you should retract your paper before others spend their
time reading it.

Thanks again to Tim for his willingness to carefully read your
work and clearly articulate its faulty reasoning (when it's hard
for those more cynical to not wonder whether this is just a
trolling expedition.)

From: Craig Feinstein on
I'm sorry, but Tim hasn't exposed any flaw whatsoever. Tim simply
doesn't want to believe my arguments, so he doesn't believe them and
makes up a few reasons to justify his belief. The same thing with Bryan
Olson's comments.

Their arguments are so transparent that it's not worth it for me to
waste my time debunking them. Whatever I say, they will simply make up
another reason why I'm "wrong".

I welcome anyone to read my paper and decide for yourself whether you
agree or not. The arguments in my paper stand on their own.

Craig

From: Woeginger Gerhard on
Googmeister <googmeister(a)gmail.com> wrote:
#
# Craig Feinstein wrote:
#> Tim, I appreciate that you have read my paper and have given your
#> feedback. I don't agree with your criticisms, but I don't really have
#> the time to argue with you either, so let's just agree to disagree.
#
# Tim's has exposed a serious flaw in your argument. Since the
# flaw is so fundamental, if you don't have time to reconcile it,
# I think you should retract your paper before others spend their
# time reading it.
#
# Thanks again to Tim for his willingness to carefully read your
# work and clearly articulate its faulty reasoning (when it's hard
# for those more cynical to not wonder whether this is just a
# trolling expedition.)

Here is another faulty point in the reasoning of this paper:
The paper tries to prove by induction on n that the best algorithm
for solving the SUBSET-SUM problem on sets with n integers is the
so-called Meet-in-the-Middle algorithm.

Fault:
The notion of "best algorithm" is not defined. What does it mean?

Possibility #1:
A "best algorithm" is an algorithm that makes the smallest possible
number of steps for one particular value of n.
If this is the intended meaning: How do you define "smallest possible
number of steps"? What is your model of computation?

Possibility #2:
A "best algorithm" is an algorithm that makes the smallest possible
number of steps for all possible values of n?
If this is the intended meaning: How do you define "smallest possible
number of steps"? What is your model of computation?

======================
The notion of "best algorithm" is unclear, and we do not even know
whether such a mathematical object exists. The paper argues:
If: the mathematical object exists,
then: its running time must be exponential

However, if this object does not exist (which is probably the case),
then this statement is empty. There might be other algorithms, that
are not "best algorithms", but that have polynomial running time.

--Gerhard

Gerhard J. Woeginger http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/

From: Craig Feinstein on
Gerhard, all you have to do is look at the context of my arguments and
figure out what I mean by "best algorithm". I have all the confidence
in the world that you can do this.

Craig

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9