From: Craig Feinstein on
"Has your paper been accepted to any peer-reviewed conferences or
journals?"

Yes.

From: Woeginger Gerhard on
Craig Feinstein <cafeinst(a)msn.com> wrote:
# Roughly, I mean that algorithm A is "the best algorithm for solving
# subset-sum with respect to n on computer X" if the worst-case
# running-time of A for all subsets of size n on computer X is better
# than that of any other algorithm running on subsets of size n on
# computer X.

=======================
You write: ... for solving subset-sum "with repect to n"
on computer X

Does this mean: With respect to one particular value n?
(A is fast for subsets of size n; it might be slow for
subsets of other sizes).

Or does this mean: With respect to all numbers n?
(A is fast for subsets of size 1; and fast for subsets of size 2;
and fast for subsets of size 3; and so on.)

=======================
You write: ... solving subset-sum with repect to n "on computer X"

Does this mean: On your laptop X? (This would be ridiculous. Your
laptop cannot even store an input for SUBSET-SUM with n=10^1000
integers.)

Which computer (or computer model) did you have in mind?

--Gerhard

Gerhard J. Woeginger http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/

From: Craig Feinstein on

Woeginger Gerhard wrote:
> Craig Feinstein <cafeinst(a)msn.com> wrote:
> # Roughly, I mean that algorithm A is "the best algorithm for solving
> # subset-sum with respect to n on computer X" if the worst-case
> # running-time of A for all subsets of size n on computer X is better
> # than that of any other algorithm running on subsets of size n on
> # computer X.
>
> =======================
> You write: ... for solving subset-sum "with repect to n"
> on computer X
>
> Does this mean: With respect to one particular value n?
> (A is fast for subsets of size n; it might be slow for
> subsets of other sizes).
>
> Or does this mean: With respect to all numbers n?
> (A is fast for subsets of size 1; and fast for subsets of size 2;
> and fast for subsets of size 3; and so on.)

One particular value n, in the context of my definition.

> =======================
> You write: ... solving subset-sum with repect to n "on computer X"
>
> Does this mean: On your laptop X? (This would be ridiculous. Your
> laptop cannot even store an input for SUBSET-SUM with n=10^1000
> integers.)
>
> Which computer (or computer model) did you have in mind?

Certainly not a laptop for reasons that you pointed out. Just a
theoretical computer that can take arbitrarily large input. The
specifics of the model of computation are not necessary for the
argument in the paper to work.

From: Ben Pfaff on
"Craig Feinstein" <cafeinst(a)msn.com> writes:

> "Has your paper been accepted to any peer-reviewed conferences or
> journals?"
>
> Yes.

Which ones?
--
"The fact is, technical people are better off not looking at patents. If
you don't know what they cover and where they are, you won't be knowingly
From: David Wagner on
Woeginger Gerhard wrote:
>The paper tries to prove by induction on n that the best algorithm
>for solving the SUBSET-SUM problem on sets with n integers is the
>so-called Meet-in-the-Middle algorithm.

Cute. That's demonstrably not true -- in fact, there are better
algorithms. Here are several references that do better than
Meet-in-the-Middle:

P. Camion, J. Patarin, "The Knapsack Hash Function proposed at
Crypto'89 can be broken", EUROCRYPT '91.

A. Blum, A. Kalai, H. Wasserman, "Noise-Tolerant Learning, the
Parity Problem, and the Statistical Query Model", STOC 2000.

D. Wagner, "A Generalized Birthday Problem", CRYPTO 2002.
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/genbday.html

So the paper claims to prove something that is known to be false.
Hmm.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: HEAP SORT