From: Bojan Smojver on
On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:46 +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> This patch speeds up hibernate/thaw operations

This is probably a bit simpler.

--
Bojan
From: Nigel Cunningham on
Hi Bojan.

On 30/07/10 20:44, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:46 +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>> This patch speeds up hibernate/thaw operations
>
> This is probably a bit simpler.

In general, it looks good. Is an order 6 allocation really necessary,
though? I guess they'll be more reliably achieved with swsusp freeing so
much memory beforehand but still...

Regards,

Nigel
From: Bojan Smojver on
On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 08:05 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> In general, it looks good. Is an order 6 allocation really necessary,
> though?

To be honest, I don't really know. I kinda guessed that the more data
compress routine has, the more it's going to be able to squeeze it down.
I can do some tests with 5 or even 4. Will let you know.

--
Bojan

From: Bojan Smojver on
On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 08:05 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Is an order 6 allocation really necessary,
> though?

I tried with 5 and 4 and got slightly lower throughput numbers. With 6,
I was getting 145 to 150 MB/s, with 4 I'm getting around 130 MB/s (this
is all on hibernate).

So, here is one with 4.

PS. I guess with this, read_sync can simply disappear as well.

--
Bojan
From: Nigel Cunningham on
Hi again.

On 31/07/10 09:22, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 08:05 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>> Is an order 6 allocation really necessary,
>> though?
>
> I tried with 5 and 4 and got slightly lower throughput numbers. With 6,
> I was getting 145 to 150 MB/s, with 4 I'm getting around 130 MB/s (this
> is all on hibernate).
>
> So, here is one with 4.

How about vmallocing the cmp as well? That would greatly reduce the
potential for page allocation failures while still letting you use an
order 6 area.

I might try this for TuxOnIce too - I'm only using order 0 allocations
at the moment and have been wondering how I can get the higher write
speed I think should be possible on my system :) I was thinking along
the lines of locking, but perhaps that was the wrong area to pursue! :)

> PS. I guess with this, read_sync can simply disappear as well.

I haven't looked at the code for a while, but it might still be needed
for the header? I know that in TuxOnIce, I need to read the first page
synchronously when bootstrapping reading the image (can't read the next
page until you know where it is, and its location is on the first page).
Since swsusp uses those index pages, I think it would have the same
issue - they would need to be read before it could read the following
pages. Of course I'm going off memory :)

Nigel