From: Mladen Gogala on
The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these days
and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around: MP3,
MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor" and
is described here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/compression/
compression-advisor.html

Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing the
table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?

I thought of compressing this message to make it more in and fashionable,
but the unfortunate effect would be that the message would be somewhat
less readable. This message will, however, self-destruct in 5 minutes
after reading.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:41:16 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
> strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these
> days and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around: MP3,
> MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
> inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
> fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
> behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor"
> and is described here:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/compression/
> compression-advisor.html
>
> Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing
> the table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?
>
> I thought of compressing this message to make it more in and
> fashionable, but the unfortunate effect would be that the message would
> be somewhat less readable. This message will, however, self-destruct in
> 5 minutes after reading.

This is an April's fool joke:

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> exec dbms_comp_advisor.getratio('NEWS','NEWS_PROGRAMS','OLTP',10);
Invalid Compression option for the current COMPAT setting

SQL> show parameter compat

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
compatible string 10.2.0.4
plsql_v2_compatibility boolean FALSE
SQL> SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Prod
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

This doesn't give me anything. This is funny, to have my database vendor
joking with me. I wonder what else there might be a joke?

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: hpuxrac on
On Dec 14, 2:41 pm, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:

snip

> The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
> strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these days
> and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around: MP3,
> MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
> inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
> fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
> behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor" and
> is described here:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/compression/
> compression-advisor.html
>
> Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing the
> table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?

This is covered in the concepts and new features guides for 11g.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:42:53 -0800, hpuxrac wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2:41 pm, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
>> strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these
>> days and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around:
>> MP3, MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
>> inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
>> fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
>> behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor"
>> and is described here:
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/compression/
>> compression-advisor.html
>>
>> Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing
>> the table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?
>
> This is covered in the concepts and new features guides for 11g.

John, I know this is covered, but the package in question looks like it
could give us something on the Oracle 10g. It doesn't. It's an April fool
joke. My question wasn't about the Oracle 11g, I know about "COMPRESS FOR
ALL OPERATIONS in 11.1 and COMPRESS FOR OLTP in Oracle 11.2. You need an
advanced compression license to do that. The URL I pointed you to explains
the package that is supposed to run even on Oracle 9i. The page does not
explain that the package doesn't really give you anything, that it only
provides another interface to the compression that is already in the
kernel. The information on that page is definitely misleading.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: gazzag on
On 14 Dec, 19:41, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
> strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these days
> and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around: MP3,
> MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
> inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
> fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
> behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor" and
> is described here:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/compression/
> compression-advisor.html
>
> Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing the
> table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?
>
> I thought of compressing this message to make it more in and fashionable,
> but the unfortunate effect would be that the message would be somewhat
> less readable. This message will, however, self-destruct in 5 minutes
> after reading.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I don't believe that compression is simply about saving "cheap" disk
space as it used to be. Now that CPUs are so much more powerful, data
can be uncompressed very quickly in memory reducing disk I/O.

-g