From: geoff on
I saw this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_hardware_manufacturers#Power_supply_units_.28PSUs.29

.. . . and looking at it gives one the impression that all those companies
make power supplies when in fact, only a few have factories, namely:

Enhance Electronics (missing from the list)
Channel Well Technologies
Seasonic
FSP
Seventeam

.. . . the others buy power supplies from the above and rebrand them. I
assume the same is true for memory, monitors, etc. So what is the advantage
of buying from 'rebranders' as opposed the 'manufacturers'?

--g

From: VanguardLH on
geoff wrote:

> I saw this on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_hardware_manufacturers#Power_supply_units_.28PSUs.29
>
> . . . and looking at it gives one the impression that all those companies
> make power supplies when in fact, only a few have factories, namely:
>
> Enhance Electronics (missing from the list)
> Channel Well Technologies
> Seasonic
> FSP
> Seventeam
>
> . . . the others buy power supplies from the above and rebrand them. I
> assume the same is true for memory, monitors, etc. So what is the advantage
> of buying from 'rebranders' as opposed the 'manufacturers'?
>
> --g

They may have the initial same assembly line but are they just rebranded by
slapping a different sticker on them? Some companies will require higher
specs on their units so additional and more quantative testing must be
performed on those units that get rebranded. I remember back when dinosaurs
still roamed the Earth when folks thought less of Radio Shack reel-reel tape
decks than Teac despite they were made in the same factory and Radio Shack
demanded higher specs for their units. After coming off the initial
assembly line, what ELSE happens to the alternate-brand units? In fact, the
factory may never get their name on the unit and they are all rebranded. It
is far more cost effective to setup one factory and tool the plant just once
and produce goods that are similar but customized to different customers.