From: Christopher M. on
My computer boots after the power supply restarts twice.

It seems that I have to unplug it for a while before restarting again.

I tried replacing the power supply.

Some of the wires from my old power supply to the motherboard were
discolored. It was a 4-pin connector.

Any ideas?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

From: Gerard Bok on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:48:48 -0400, "Christopher M."
<no-spamcm_anon76(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>My computer boots after the power supply restarts twice.
>
>It seems that I have to unplug it for a while before restarting again.

Take a look at http://www.badcaps.net/
If you see familiar pictures there, you have your answer.

>Some of the wires from my old power supply to the motherboard were
>discolored.

That's very odd. Especially if you mean 'burned by over current'.
Are you sure your PC is not an ancient Dell type with
non-standard PSU wiring ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
From: Grinder on
On 6/16/2010 9:48 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> My computer boots after the power supply restarts twice.
>
> It seems that I have to unplug it for a while before restarting again.
>
> I tried replacing the power supply.
>
> Some of the wires from my old power supply to the motherboard were
> discolored. It was a 4-pin connector.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Strangely enough, I saw this pattern with some bad memory modules. For
weeks, the machine would startup on the second try. Ultimately, it a
lot more sporadic, but it had be baffled for a bit.

Also, memory testing did nothing to indicate that I had some bad
modules. Either the machine would startup up and memtest could not find
anything, or the machine would not start and I could not run memtest.

Something else that's worth doing: Minimize your system. Remove any
add-in cards you can live without for the the duration of your
diagnosis. If you're using a video card, fall back to onboard video if
you have it. Unplug extraneous hard and optical drives, as well as USB
and firewire devices.

Reduce your system to the bare minimum of parts. If the problem
persists, you know that it's because of one (or more of those parts) or
because of an interaction amongst them. From there, start replacing
individual parts with "known good" components to see if you can make the
problem go away.

From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 6/16/2010 9:48 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> My computer boots after the power supply restarts twice.
>
> It seems that I have to unplug it for a while before restarting again.
>
> I tried replacing the power supply.
>
> Some of the wires from my old power supply to the motherboard were
> discolored. It was a 4-pin connector.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

You might want to check for a loose connector or corrosion on the connector.

A loose connector might be one that was not seated all the way or more
common one or more of the female socket of the connector is slightly
oversize so it is not "grabbing" the connector tightly on the
motherboard resulting in minor arching, voltage loss, and subsequent
heat build up.

You might want to unplug things and check for corrosion on the
motherboard connector, since you already tried another power supply.
Corrosion can cause voltage loss as well as excess heat build up in the
connector resulting in the discoloration. After this try the
replacement power supply again as the connector of the old power supply
may also need cleaning or tightening.

If nothing from the above resolves your current problem (no pun
intended) I'd try the other suggestions like reseating the memory
modules, removing all non-critical hardware as in CD/DVD, non-boot hard
drive(s), and any circuit cards that can be temporarily replaced by
using any built in motherboard features.
From: Christopher M. on
"Christopher M." <no-spamcm_anon76(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer boots after the power supply restarts twice.
>
> It seems that I have to unplug it for a while before restarting again.
>
> I tried replacing the power supply.
>
> Some of the wires from my old power supply to the motherboard were
> discolored. It was a 4-pin connector.
>
> Any ideas?

After buying a new CMOS battery for the motherboard, the computer is running
a little better. I can now restart successfully.

I'm still getting that hiccup with the power supply. I'm guessing it's just
a symptom now, that just won't go away.

While the computer works when plugged into the outlet, it's not working with
the surge protector. Maybe I need a new surge protector, or maybe the load
is just too big in my house of hunny.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)