From: Jerome Robertson on
Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult
to work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.
The computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but
you don't have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help.
I've posted on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one
there can help (so far).
From: Paul on
Jerome Robertson wrote:
> Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
> using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult
> to work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.
> The computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but you
> don't have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help. I've
> posted on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one there
> can help (so far).

Did you prepare a back door on your computer in advance ?

I've used Telnet on occasion, to access a "broken" Linux or Unix
computer, from a second computer. That gives a command line
access, so you can figure out what is wrong. (Telnet is fine
in a home LAN environment, behind your firewall or whatever, but
is Not Recommended for WAN or Internet usage. The username and
password travel in plaintext. There are more secure alternatives,
but when I'm angry because I'm locked out of some machine,
I don't mind trashing the security, out of pure spite.)

I installed a "server" version of some Linux distro, and
it didn't detect input devices (similar to your symptoms).
In other words, I got X Windows running, but no input device worked.
None of the LEDs worked on my keyboard. I couldn't use
ctrl-alt-backspace or the like, either.

It seemed something called "d-bus" needed to be started as a service,
to make the thing work. D-bus apparently passes input devices to
X-Windows. Once I set that up, I was (eventually) able to get
X running on the server version of Linux. It took me quite a
while to find all the issues, bugs, and workarounds. But
eventually, my "server" had a GUI.

D-bus didn't always exist. At one time, input devices
might have been added to some config file. And we never
seemed to lose them with that kind of scheme.

These are some examples of web pages on the subject. My
recollections are too vague right now, to give you a
recipe as to what I did exactly. When you fix one bug after
another (the "Linux way"), after a while it becomes
a blur.

http://www.x.org/wiki/XInputHotplug?highlight=(d\-bus)

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus

Presumably DBUS exists, to make automated detection work
better. But if DBUS is dead, then you're kinda screwed :-)
That is why, with Linux/Unix, it pays to have a second
computer, for rescue missions via the backdoor you
left for yourself.

Good luck,
Paul
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jerome Robertson" <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
> using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult to
> work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since. The
> computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but you don't
> have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help. I've posted
> on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one there can help
> (so far).

I can't help you with Linux, but my suspicion is that you have hardware
issues with your computer. If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, try
using PS2 and see what happens. If you are using PS2, try USB. If you are
using wireless, go back to wired. (Of course, if the problem is wireless or
wired, then it could very well be software related -- drivers and that sort
of thing.)

From: Edwin Sineath on
On 06/02/2010 12:21 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Jerome Robertson"<consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
>> using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult to
>> work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since. The
>> computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but you don't
>> have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help. I've posted
>> on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one there can help
>> (so far).
>

> I can't help you with Linux, but my suspicion is that you have hardware
> issues with your computer. If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, try
> using PS2 and see what happens. If you are using PS2, try USB. If you are
> using wireless, go back to wired. (Of course, if the problem is wireless or
> wired, then it could very well be software related -- drivers and that sort
> of thing.)

I never did get it fixed. I had backed up my /home directory on a
separate hard drive before I upgraded to Isadora, so I just did a fresh
install and restored the backup. Everything's working now. This
newsgroup is the only place I was able to get any help (got enough to
get mouse back). Linuxmint forum was surprisingly no help, nor was
Linuxquestions.org.