From: PVR on
I have a desktop/tower on XP/3. It has been functioning normally up to
this morning. Working with Quicken I received an error message so I
attempted to power down. Then I attempted to reboot but then I had the
problem.

When I switched to 'On' the hard drive light and fan activated but
then I received a a series of beeps and there was no further activity
from the HD but the fan continued to work.

I realize this is probably not a software problem but if anyone can
suggest anything from this very brief description I would be very
appreciative. Specifically, a suggestion re: hardware problem
newsgroups.

Many thanks,

Peter.

From: Unknown on
Check in your owners manual what the beeps meaning is.

From: Andrew E. on
The "Beeps" represent a hardware problem or failure,go to the boards
mfg web site & get the list of info on beep warnings.

From: glee on
"PVR" <peterv666(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop/tower on XP/3. It has been functioning normally up to
>this morning. Working with Quicken I received an error message so I
>attempted to power down. Then I attempted to reboot but then I had the
>problem.
>
> When I switched to 'On' the hard drive light and fan activated but
> then I received a a series of beeps and there was no further activity
> from the HD but the fan continued to work.
>
> I realize this is probably not a software problem but if anyone can
> suggest anything from this very brief description I would be very
> appreciative. Specifically, a suggestion re: hardware problem
> newsgroups.

What is the brand and model of the computer?
Exactly how many beeps, in what sequence; short beeps, long beeps,
combination?

PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Bill R on
"PVR" <peterv666(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop/tower on XP/3. It has been functioning normally up to this
>morning. Working with Quicken I received an error message so I attempted to
>power down. Then I attempted to reboot but then I had the problem.
>
> When I switched to 'On' the hard drive light and fan activated but then I
> received a a series of beeps and there was no further activity from the HD
> but the fan continued to work.
>
> I realize this is probably not a software problem but if anyone can
> suggest anything from this very brief description I would be very
> appreciative. Specifically, a suggestion re: hardware problem newsgroups.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter.
Peter,

My first guess (without having seen, touched or heard your computer) is that
the power supply unit (PSU) has failed. I have had several just recently
which have partially failed giving power to some connectors giving the
appearance that it is working. The best way to prove this theory is to
substitute the PCU. Be aware however that sometimes when the PCU fails it
can create a surge which may fail any other component: hard disk drive,
motherboard, DVD drive, keyboar4d, mouse etc.

Have a check around (but be careful) to ensure none of the memory chips or
boards have come loose, that the processor fan, graphics card fan and PSU
fan are turning. You could also (cerefully) remove one card, one drive and
even the mouse and keyboard at a time to elminate the possibility that one
of these components may be the cause of the problem. Had a case recently of
a faulty keyboard corpsing the computer and I've even known a mouse to do
the same.

Best of luck.

Bill R

 |  Next  |  Last