From: MvA on
Hi,

I have shut down my notebook (Compaq mini 110) using the on/off switch as it
was frozen on welcome screen. On starting it gave the following error
message :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
\windows\system\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by
starting Windows setup using the original setup CD Rom. Select 'r' at the
first screen to start repair.

What do I do now. It is Notebook - No CD drive.

I urgently need to access some files on the PC!

Kind regards,

--
MvA
From: Leonard Grey on
"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: MvA on
Thanks Leonard but two problems... 1) Do not have any such Disk (no CD
drive) and 2) I'm an absolute klutz with tech jargon...
--
MvA

From: Leonard Grey on
....and you probably don't have a backup, either.

Time to show your computer to a professional
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Elmo on
MvA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have shut down my notebook (Compaq mini 110) using the on/off switch as it
> was frozen on welcome screen. On starting it gave the following error
> message :
>
> "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
> \windows\system\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by
> starting Windows setup using the original setup CD Rom. Select 'r' at the
> first screen to start repair."
>
> What do I do now? It is Notebook - No CD drive.
>
> I urgently need to access some files on the PC!
>
> Kind regards,

Purchase a USB CD drive. Then insert an XP Recovery Console CD and try
some of the suggested repairs.. look on the hard drive for the \System file.

Instructions
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

Download (and copy to a CD) This thread shows a link to an .iso image
that you can burn to a CD. I can't find the one I used to download an
image, but am pretty sure the link was in this newsgroup.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

or look for this text:

"If you have neither a Windows XP CD nor a floppy drive, there are
methods for placing floppy disk images on a bootable CD. One easy way
to create a bootable CD containing the Recovery Console from the
Microsoft file mentioned above has been provided by Dean Adams and can
be downloaded at this link."

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

--
Joe =o)