From: GettingByOk on
Ran into a problem preventing me from trying a couple of suggestions to work
around the delayed write problem to an eSATA drive I wrote about earlier (Apr
8).....

Now my computer will not boot if the eSATA drive is turned on. It hangs
right before it finishes loading the BIOS. About 95% of the way before the
white progress bar finishes. Can't even hit F2 to configure or F12 to change
boot order. So I have to turn the eSATA drive off then cycle the computer.

Then of course it says it can't detect the SATA-4 device and I hit F1 to
continue.

Any ideas?

From: smlunatick on
On Apr 15, 5:12 pm, GettingByOk
<GettingB...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ran into a problem preventing me from trying a couple of suggestions to work
> around the delayed write problem to an eSATA drive I wrote about earlier (Apr
> 8).....
>
> Now my computer will not boot if the eSATA drive is turned on. It hangs
> right before it finishes loading the BIOS. About 95% of the way before the
> white progress bar finishes. Can't even hit F2 to configure or F12 to change
> boot order. So I have to turn the eSATA drive off then cycle the computer..
>
> Then of course it says it can't detect the SATA-4 device and I hit F1 to
> continue.
>
> Any ideas?

It seems that the BIOS boot sequence happens to have the eSATA listed
there. Since it does not boot, you probably should remove it from the
boot sequence.
From: Brian V on
My printer is USB, plugged into the back. I have USB in the boot sequence. My
BIOS hanged then too. I believe it is the same problem.

My question is: Would the same thing happen if the front usb ports are used?
I havn't tried it, I understand the front and backa re different.

Also: If I go into the BIOS and disable USB from boot sequence - How easy
would it be if there as a problem to change that feature so USB can be booted
from? I think that if there is a big BIOS problem or a motherboard problem,
you'd probably have to change the mobo anyways.
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 18, 5:35 pm, Brian V <Bri...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My printer is USB, plugged into the back. I have USB in the boot sequence.. My
> BIOS hanged then too. I believe it is the same problem.
>
> My question is: Would the same thing happen if the front usb ports are used?
> I havn't tried it, I understand the front and backa re different.
>
> Also: If I go into the BIOS and disable USB from boot sequence - How easy
> would it be if there as a problem to change that feature so USB can be booted
> from? I think that if there is a big BIOS problem or a motherboard problem,
> you'd probably have to change the mobo anyways.

USB ports and eSATA ports are not the same. eSATA is a hard drive
style connector which most Windows will treat as an internal port
usually.

USB ports are all the same. The front and rear ports are all the
same.

USB printers do / should not affect the boot sequence. If the system
hangs when a USB device is connected, check of a BIOS update. If the
system only hangs with the printer, check for revised drivers or the
printer might have digital media slots.
From: Twayne on
In
smlunatick <yveslec(a)gmail.com> typed:
> On Apr 18, 5:35 pm, Brian V
> <Bri...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> My printer is USB, plugged into the back. I have USB in
>> the boot sequence. My BIOS hanged then too. I believe it
>> is the same problem.
>>
>> My question is: Would the same thing happen if the front
>> usb ports are used? I havn't tried it, I understand the
>> front and backa re different.
>>
>> Also: If I go into the BIOS and disable USB from boot
>> sequence - How easy would it be if there as a problem to
>> change that feature so USB can be booted from? I think
>> that if there is a big BIOS problem or a motherboard
>> problem, you'd probably have to change the mobo anyways.
>
> USB ports and eSATA ports are not the same. eSATA is a
> hard drive style connector which most Windows will treat as
> an internal port usually.
>
> USB ports are all the same. The front and rear ports are
> all the same.

Not always; occasionally the front ports will be 1.x while the
back ones are 2.x. it was done to use up stock of old mobo's
that had 1.1 and they added a 2.x card to get up to 2.
I've heard there are still some showing up from no-name
sources and even the big box stores.

HTH,

Twayne`