From: Karen F on
I sold my Windows XP computer and the buyer called to tell me that my name
shows as the computer name on start up. How can she get my name out and
use her name in the computer. Thanks.

From: Bruce Chambers on
Karen F wrote:
> I sold my Windows XP computer and the buyer called to tell me that my
> name shows as the computer name on start up. How can she get my name
> out and use her name in the computer. Thanks.

What *you* should have done, before selling the computer, to protect
your personal information and data from any future users of average
skills, you should have, at the *_very least_*, formatted the hard drive
and reinstalled Windows. You could have done this using the original
Installation CD.

What your buyer still should do, with a second-hand computer,
especially if acquired from strangers but perhaps even if acquired from
a family member or friend, would definitely be to format the hard drives
and start fresh. She doesn't want to have problems because the original
owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: VanguardLH on
Karen F wrote:

> I sold my Windows XP computer and the buyer called to tell me that my name
> shows as the computer name on start up. How can she get my name out and
> use her name in the computer. Thanks.

Have them search the registry for a string that matches on the name.
From: Stubbo of Oz on
On Sat, 8 May 2010 13:40:46 -0400, "Karen F" <fetter(a)frontiernet.net>
wrote:

>I sold my Windows XP computer and the buyer called to tell me that my name
>shows as the computer name on start up. How can she get my name out and
>use her name in the computer. Thanks.

See here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017

--