From: Vinicius Massuchetto on
Hi!

After the last upgrade on sid my laptop went crazy and seems to be
working hard all the time. It remembers me when I convert a video or
play a 3D game using the Nvidia card for a long time.

Can the problem be with the upgrade I did? What configuration can be causing it?

Thanks.
--
Vinícius Massuchetto
http://vinicius.soylocoporti.org.br

Vinicius Massuchetto wrote:

> After the last upgrade on sid my laptop went crazy and seems to be
> working hard all the time. It remembers me when I convert a video or
> play a 3D game using the Nvidia card for a long time.
>
> Can the problem be with the upgrade I did? What configuration can be causing it?

Probably the Nvida; at least, its driver. I have a similar problem on my
laptop. I have to be careful with flash and playing some videos formats.
To alleviate the problem, I lower the cpu freq when I know there will be
an issue.

A test I use is to run glxgears, then gradually enlarge the window. At
some point, the fps will drop to single figures and the cpu will max
out.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 06:47:56AM +0000, marc wrote:

> Probably the Nvida; at least, its driver. I have a similar problem on
> my laptop. I have to be careful with flash and playing some videos

You might try the latest nvidia driver, and see if that helps. For
example:

sudo m-a update; sudo m-a prepare; sudo m-a auto-install nvidia

You might also consider adding:

Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True"

to the "Device" section of your xorg.conf, which I understand is
supposed to lower CPU usage. Also, running:

nvidia-settings -a synctovblank=1

may reduce CPU usage at the cost of dropping the frame-rate to your
monitor's refresh rate.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"